Woman in wheelchair on way to gun practice shoots mugger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Sep 9, 2006.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

b::NEW YORK (AP) -- Margaret Johnson might have looked like an easy target.
    But when a mugger tried to grab a chain off her neck Friday, the 56-year-old Johnson, while riding in her wheelchair, pulled out her licensed .357 pistol and shot him, police said.
    Johnson said she was in Manhattan's Harlem neighborhood on her way to a shooting range when the man, identified by police as 45-year-old Deron Johnson, came up from behind and went for the chain.
    "There's not much to it," she said in a brief interview. "Somebody tried to mug me, and I shot him."
    Deron Johnson was taken to Harlem Hospital with a single bullet wound in the elbow, police said. He faces a robbery charge, said Lt. John Grimpel, a police spokesman.
    Margaret Johnson, who lives in Harlem, has a permit for the weapon and does not face charges, Grimpel said. She also was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and later released.

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

She shot him in the elbow? Ouch!
    Should of double tapped his center and followed through with a head shot.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Obviously not a sheep. Good for her, and lucky at that since he was behind her. My, what a way to get a dose of tennis elbow, but it is too bad she couldn't center of mass the dummy. Betcha her minor injurys included powder burns, and I sure am glad it wasn't worse for her.;)

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I amazed that she actually had a permit in NYC.

5. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

Good Lesson for that Low-Life Scum...

I hope there were a lot of "Scumbag" observers that learned a lesson from that event. Ric

6. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Sounds like this woman needs a medal to me. Anyone in this day and age that stands up for themselves instead of cowering like sheep deserve a medal in my mind. I agree that it was good she didn't get hurt any worse and I agree that she should have hit center mass. Good shot though into a target from an awkward angle. Now want the bad news? Here is it....

Even though she is not going to be charged for any crime and most likely the would-be thief cannot sue for any wrong doing on the ladies part, he just may get a nice little compensation. A round the size of the .357 may have taken out his elbow which may require reconstructive surgery. The shot may also affect his performance of using that arm in the future. So what do we have now? A person with a disability. He most likely can file a claim with SSI and be awarded a monthly paycheck that he didn't earn and damn sure didn't deserve. That's the bad news. Even with it, there may be a little silver lining in this all.

Take into assumption that this guy is a creature of habit, mugging people for their belongings to feed a drug habit so there may be another time in the future where he may try again even with his 'disability'. At such time as this happens again, he may not be so lucky as to have walked away with a minimal injury. There may still be a bullet with this guy's name on it and it may find it's mark the next time. After all, this does take away one of his lucky points. :D

7. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

Yup. A headshot would have been a better service to society. Ric

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Im just gald she snapped a cap in his ass, remember the Dude who shot the would be muggers on the sub way in NYC several years ago, they were going to hang the guy for it, maybe NYC is getting more gun friendly:eek:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7