Winchester model 70

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnbb, Mar 17, 2024.

1. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

My 91 year old uncle has a model 70 late 1964 30-06 excellent condition wants to sell it ---anyone have an idea what it is worth. Thinking of buy it it

Ura-Ki, techsar and SB21 like this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Lots of variables...stock material, stainless, target model, wear...???

Could be between a couple hundred to a grand...

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@johnbb Best you take a few photos and hang them here. I would suggest asking @Ura-Ki because that gun nut can't keep his wallet closed when it comes to nice antique or older firearm, and he knows quite a bit about them.

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

First, if it's post 64, that kinda hurts value, the pre-64's are the highly desirable, and valuable rifles, especially the Mod-70's, but the bonus here is the Caliber, which will help!
    Second, you need to pull the barreled action out of the stock and 1) look for rust or any flaws in the metal/finish, and 2) look for cracks in the stock, if you have a good one, that will increase the value quite nicely.
    Third, has it been altered in any way, like having it's Irons removed, and if so, do you still have the parts to restore it back, that's going to add value. Modified rifles are generally considered Junk, especially when it comes to Vintage Winchesters, unless it's something very special or was done by a known professional in the period!
    Forth, does it have a scope, and if so, what brand and type, the Weavers of the period are highly collectable, some being worth as much as the rifle it's self, while some of the higher end European will certainly add value, and depending on which one, could also be worth as much or more then the rifle it's self!

As a general opinion, a Winchester post 64 in this caliber in original un modified condition with it's iron sights intact should be worth around a Grand, and depending on finish and grade of stock wood, could be even more.
    Add a Weaver K-44 Scope and matching Warne Rings, and you can pretty much double your price! The ONE to really look for is this rifle chambered in the then Brand New 7 mm Rem Mag of 1964, you find one of those in excellent condition, you really got something!

Now, if it were Pre 64, double your price again, with scope, your looking at around 5 to 6 grand, depending on grade! There are on line resources to trace the exact year and time it was made, and handy grading guides to help you get close to the value of your exact rifle, posting photos here, we can help can help as well!

Zimmy, Bandit99, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

$400 ta $1,200 ta $2,500 on gun broker

post pics would ya?

if it is reel gud ya could git $1,500 ta $2,500 on a gud day

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you want stupid money kinda fast for something of even average rareness you want gun broker.

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

My uncle won this new rifle as a door prize-- dollar ticket, never used it much --- I'll see if he can send me pictures

sec_monkey likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7