Winchester 9mm Recall

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Mountainman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

arleigh and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Insufficient powder charge? That sucks.
    Primed brass is too valuable. Break them down and reload them.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you conclude the above recall is for “insufficient powder charge” then you are misreading the cause of the recall… It is plainly stated that the Powder used in these lots of this ammunition, does NOT IGNITE, or Burn sufficiently, to drive the projectile from the barrel, thus causing an obstructed barrel condition, when a subsequent round is chambered and fired.. As stated in the Recall Notice…. This would be a case of Quality Control of the Powder manufacturing process, and not caught by the testing of the Lots of Powder used in the loading of these lots of Ammunition… by the powder OEM…
    and YES, Pulling the projectiles, and reloading using new Powder, would be another way to mitigate the condition..

Gator 45/70 and mysterymet like this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Word to the wise, I use a lot of old powder, more than I should but one of the old big surplus containers lasts along time, keep cool, keep dry , keep in original can, smell for changes, look for changes, then load 10 rounds a little light, and shoot and compute, if ok, load 10 more and shoot and compare data. if OK, then load to your hearts content. Like to keep all those old fingers and eyes in . Good idea to do the same whenever you start a new batch of powder. If you do buy 4 lbs of powder, you do your best to get the same batch number don't you. I would dearly love to take that bad ammo off their hands and pull it, with right collet, when reloaded with good powder, it should be excellent ammo. Shot a lot of pull downs over the years, even corrosive loaded, and always loved it.

Would really like to know powder supplier and powders with problems. Somebody messed up big time and with nitro, that isn't a sporting provision. Least it seems to be on low wide, not blow up your weapon on first shot.

It is again time to remember everyone of the danger of lodged bullets, if you shot 300 Blackout, have the gun marked, the mags marked and keep all ammo totally seperate from 223. It is at least in theory for a shot to push a 300 far enough down the barrel in a 223 and then fire a second shell into the block which would likely destroy the weapon if not the shooter. Same thing with debris in the barrel or other hand loads

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  5. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Someone load the wrong powder at the ammo plant? Usually they do testing on batches of powders as it comes in to make sure it is good. I could see powders getting mixed up if there was a traceability issue in the receiving area of the plant...

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

As the recall notice says, the stuff ain't safe regardless how you read the language. "Insufficient charge" is not the same as "won't ignite."

Now, whether you break down what you bought, or do like they say and get the stuff shipped back and replaced is up to you. I'm too lazy to pull a box full down.

HK_User, Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Any word that the sell out could be the culprit?

After all this fits the left's ideal of continued fear in even buying reliable ammo and especially the most used type that would blow up Patriot's weapons. Seems this was no accident. IMHO

Too many mistakes in the production line for this to be an accident.

Easy enough to purchase marked mags and dust covers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2021
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I am paranoid enough about misfire, I must see the impact before firing again.

9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Had it happen, squib load, one time, Good I noticed the light load and checked the barrel of the revolver. Not my reload but provided with the purchase of the gun.
    All ammo went in the river!

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When I am doing ammunition loading, my in-house QC, is to setup my Grain Scale, with the +/- .5 Grain weight of a finished round, and then weigh each round, as it comes off the press…. Started doing this back when I was an Ammunition OEM, and made it a habit, not to be ever changed…. When doing custom High Accuracy loading, the variance goes down to+/- .05 grains as all the components are pre-selected into lots by weight… Cases, primers, projectiles, and Powder, to +/-.1 grain lots… Doing this precludes ever getting an under-charged round.. Yes, it takes extra time, and effort, but I never have had a Squib Load, in 55 years of shooting my own Ammo…. AND never had a single complaint of a Squib Load in all my years as an AMMUNITION OEM…

11. duane

duane Monkey+++

My experience around weapons is that it takes everything you can do to stay safe, shooting your mouth off, showing off, taking short cuts, playing the fool, and such can get you and those around you killed. A well done hand load in my mind is superior to any factory load. You can match your weapon, select what you want for velocity, bullet weight, powder burn rate, recoil, set up sub sonic rounds, and if you are careful you know for certain that it is a good round. With a factory load from Russia that is in a copper washed steel case and was made 40 years ago and you have no idea how it was stored nor under what conditions is in some minds superior to a hand load as it is "factory made". In my mind a lot of the ammo stored long time by some preppers can possibly be recycled into fishing weights. I have seen all to many bricks of 22 rifle ammo sitting up in a shelf in a shed that has date marks from the 1950's and the lead so corroded on the shells that I don't know if they would even chamber, I don't have any idea if the powder is any good, moisture, heat, oil, etc. In a pinch I would try it but not depend on it. I had a German WW2 Mauser rile in the 1960's that I shot a lot, beautiful weapon and accurate. Surplus German WW2 ammo was good, but corrosive, when it ran out, bought WW1 Turkish surplus. Probably recovered from a sand dune after 40 years. Good looking ammo but about 1 in 5 would either take two strikes to fire or pull the trigger and it would go off a tenth of a second later. Could be that the primers were super hard for a machine gun or something, due to the primer design, I did not bother to pull and reload and struggled my way thru 100 rounds and quit with them.

In my mind BTPost is totally correct, would much have control of what might be a life threatening situation, then depend on some individual watching 30 machines loading shells and going around and keeping the hoppers full and hoping he is using the right materials and that if he isn't, QC will catch it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7