Why the 50 beowulf is awesome and must exist.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, May 12, 2022.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

These aren't the magazines you're looking for.
    50vs223.

2022-05-12 07.53.08.
    Love the para cord out the floor plate hole.

2. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

30 round magazines are illegal now? But I have so many...

duane and CraftyMofo like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah if they are 10 round mags, they are perfectly legal everywhere. Maybe write or put a sticker on there that says "50 beowuf only" you know so you don't accidentally load it up with 223s.

duane, sec_monkey, enloopious and 2 others like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

50 beowuf ammo $31.95 for 20 rounds. That's cheaper than 308 at the local Bass Pro Shop....

enloopious and duane like this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

Might have to neck it down to 49 cal , that way outlawing 50 cal won't get you. You know how important that change is to the Karens you know.[patr]

enloopious likes this.
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

IMG_4795.PNG

duane likes this.
  7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

very interesting... will fit all those firearms huh?

8. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Up here, 450 Bushmaster is used by those in what was shotgun only deer-hunting areas. A couple years ago, they let hunters use straight walled cartridges in those areas. .458 Socom doesn’t fall under that rule.

9. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I had a lot of fun with one, but I found the limiting factor was penetration. I could all but penetrate a 1/4" thick steel plate at 50 yards; it would leave this massive bulge out the back of the target, but never punch through. I figured that the .50 Beo wasn't able to do anything (that I was using it for) that .308 Win could easily do.

In hard targets (I don't have any experience on large animals with it) I believe the cross sectional density limits the penetrating power. If I ever do the big bore AR again, it will probably be .458 Socom, .45 Bushmaster, or even the .350.

I also had problems getting projectiles for my .50 Beo, there were only two options available at the time. Now you guys have dozens to choose from. I even saw someone had a solid copper projectile- that would be quite fun to blast old junker cars with, just to see what it would do.

Back then, I used standard Gen2 Magpul PMags and loaded them to 10 rounds. The blunt tips would knock a little bit of plastic from the front of the magazine, but strangely enough I never suffered a jam because of it. I eventually sold the unit and used that money to help fund a .50 BMG bolt action upper receiver.

STANGF150, Tully Mars and CraftyMofo like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7