Why Grow Ginger?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by 3M-TA3, Jan 11, 2023.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The popularity of Ginger Ale and Ginger Beer in the 1800's US was due to indigestion and both provided gastric relief. In fact, the greatest market for medical cures during the westward expansion was for stomach ailments due to the heavy dies of easy to store carbs (wheat flour, rice, beans, corn).

Sound familiar? Most preppers rely on the exact same foods as part of their food strategy, and even those who will supplement with gardens face months of subsistence on these preps before those probiotic friendly veggies are ready to eat. The leaves can be used to make a gastric pain relieving tea, while the root can be use to make ginger ale and ginger beer.

Fortunately, ginger is easy to grow in UZ zones 8 and above adn with care can be grown in almost all zones.

upload_2023-1-10_21-8-47.

Ginger beer:

Ginger ale:

Dunerunner, SB21 and chelloveck like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Also Recipe - Ginger beer (Root Beer)
    with more recipes for making alcoholic and non alcoholic ginger beer from scratch ingredients and using basic make do equipment.

Alanaana, Kamp Krap, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Sarsarparilla and Sassafras root beer recipes are similar alternatives to ginger beer.

4. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I really love making a tea with ginger and slices of lemon. I haven't tried making ginger ale or ginger beer yet, but I'm looking forward to trying. Thank you for sharing these videos. I just discovered that the butterfly ginger I'm growing is also edible.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We grow and use Ginger all the time, it's a major staple in our lives, and we use it in all sorts of food stuff!
    I really love mixing it with Black Strap Molasses, that's a super handy mix to have about, from cooking, to brewing, to just about anything else you would ever want! We usually end up with around 50+ pounds of ginger per year, and go through almost all of it!

Pro Tip, mix 3 parts Molasses to 1 part Mint Leaf and 1/4 part Ginger, now you have a good base for BBQ sauce or marinades, and you can candy it for a neato old school treat! Add Turbinado Sugar and butter and you have almost everything to make Ginger Snaps! This also works really well for many Soda Recipes, add a little Vanilla to it and you really got the makings of a killer Ice Cream!

Alanaana, Dunerunner and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Alanaana, Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7