Where Were You Today.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by runswithdogs, Dec 8, 2020.

1. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Couldn't find any thread that suited so starting one here...
    Post Pictures of Your Local Area or Where You Walked today...

This is from one of the woodland walks local to us (Stonehaven, Scotland)
    We haven't been for quite a while so interesting to see whats changed...

Dunnotter Shell house/folly (kinda a kiddies play house with shells all over the walls) circa early 1800’s

415300E7-B8EF-4D54-9EBB-B067238A66BB.
    There used to be a huge oak here... and a bridge... looks like both have come down since we last were here. New bridge built down a ways (used to be just behind me when taking this photo) and somebody has carved up part of the oak to make a cool bench. 7ABD404B-DBEA-4C55-B451-8D381F294D55.

bench from other side with Robbie for scale....Hedgehogs and otters C45E8F9E-0E0F-4AFE-B53B-B7A7606CC360.

Ladies Bath (no freaking way!!!) built for “private bathing”in sub zero temp water...... First pix taken from above (standing on bridge). Second pix shows what it looks like from below. Theres “gates” to restrict the water in/out and if I remember correctly id say the water you can see is about 5-6’ deep at the moment.
    80B84FE7-715C-47B6-B82E-28563C95BA41. F3F3EA87-5817-450E-B3FF-E17329FB7BD3.

GOG, Gator 45/70, BenP and 13 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

No pictures, but took the new bird up for it's very first flight and did a bunch of tests and then shot several touch and go's! Man, what a rush, brand new plane, first flight, nerves on edge until you realize it's actually flying nice and proper, then it was a pure joy!

Now, bring me that horizon!

GOG, techsar, oldawg and 9 others like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Well ,,, I have nothing to compare with what you 2 have done today ,,, best I could do would be a seashore ,, as pretty as it was ,,, it's the same every day ,, unless we have rain , sun ,snow ,,
    That was a beautiful carving you showed us RWD ,,,,, and I'd love to be feeling the rush of those touch and go's in a plane .
    In my little AO ,, jm lucky enough to hear the sounds , and catch a few glimpses of the Corps Ospreys now and then ,, although I've never been on one ,, been told I was old Corps ,,, the sound reminds me of the old 46's and 53's ,,, and heading out to the excitement of god only knows what and where,,,

techsar, Gator 45/70 and Dark Wolf like this.
  4. Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf Monkey

Gorgeous pictures, thanks for sharing them!

I am gonna try for some Bluegill/panfish in the next day or two. Will try to get some pics, although they will be nothing compared to the OP.

DW

techsar, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  5. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

After your pictures I would be ashamed to show you mine, nothing but 180 acres cutover pine land. Lots of deer,hogs coons ,squirrels and rabbits,good hunting,but not pictures like yours. You are blessed.
    [flag]

techsar, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Cutting tin and putting on skin............ DSC02095.JPG

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

In uptown Scott la...not much to see here lol

techsar likes this.
  8. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Small plane? Been on a few when I was younger... much more fun than the big ones :D

All pictures are good. Doesn't have to be panoramic scenery... could just be something cool you saw out and about.
    Dinna have my camera with or could have had a nice pix of a fox this evening.:D

techsar, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

IMG_2438_72_900x600.
    Did a bunch more flying in the new bird today, did a bunch of take off's and landings to really start to feel it out and see where it wants to perform at it's best at! WOW, is all I can say! Hit a bunch of grass fields and then a couple of sand bars, so far, so good!

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Stop by down here with that bird,I'll fill it up with boudan while we spot deer/hog herds !

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Really nice ,,, I was going to start pilot training a few years ago ,, just got busy . Starting to get on up in years ,,, working near another small airport now ,, and also doing a job for an old Vietnam Vet helicopter crew chief that works at that airport ,, I might see if he can get me in touch with someone at the terminal.
    Back around 1980 ,, I lived at N Myrtle beach for a little over a year,, met a guy that was a helicopter pilot in Nam ,,, he was flying those banners up and down the beach. Told me to come by the airport one day and he'd take me up. I did. We went up ,, went up and down the beach with the banner,, came back to the airport,, dropped the banner ,, and then he took us up probably about as high as that little bird would fly ,, gave me a golf ball and said hold it out in my hand with an open palm ,,, then he went into a nose dive ,, and that golf ball started floating. After falling forever it seemed ,, he slammed the throttle down and curved her straight back up till she wouldn't climb no more ,,, and let her free fall backwards , back into a nosedive straight towards the ground,,, once he got the speed where he wanted it , he turned her back towards the sky and we did a complete loop . What a rush that was . About 3 1/2 years later , went and did a tour in the Corps ,, saw a little combat ,,, and haven't been able to find the rush from those 2 experiences since .
    Anyway ,, sorry for the long post ,, just reminiscing.
    Give us some pics from the air if ya can Ura-Ki ,, that would be sweet . [salute]

Alf60, techsar, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

is that a LSA?

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yes! Weighed it for the final inspection and to get the final wight and balance and she came in @1105 pounds empty!

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. DKR

You watch theTrent Palmer channel?

Cool videos...

15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yes, I know him well, super great guy!
    I have met most of the Flying Cowboys at one time or another, all great folks!

Gator 45/70, SB21 and DKR like this.
  16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Being that light ,, how much does the winds effect it ??? What wind speed makes it a little unsafe to fly it ?? If any.

17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

It's quite stable and rock steady, though I wouldn't want to ride out a major blow. I have flown in 45 knot winds with it, and while it's a pretty bumpy ride, it's still locked in and solid!
    I'm noticing it's kind of a Jeckle and Hyde kind of plane, it flies nice and smooth and easy when you want it to, then turns into a real sporty bird when you want or need that, the trick is finding that balance between the two, and right now I'm fighting my self ( and wearing my self out) hovering on the controls! That will just take time to figure out and get settled in, or I need to adjust it to kind of deaden some of it!

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. DKR

Last GA style aircraft I flew on was a Cessna 226, Not bad for a heavy twin, but the guy flying spent too much time in Laos driving an OV-10.

Made my Jesus clock spin like a top....

19. DKR

speaking of local pics...

I don't walk in the local parks any more - even if heeled

Why?

You tell me
    [​IMG]

20. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Heeled in one way, yes. Steel soles for starters. Our parks around here are not that bad. Yet.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7