When Google augered in (Cloud crash)

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Dec 18, 2020.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Google: Here's what caused our big global outage | ZDNet

Linked article lists a root cause, but also had these gems:
    It's the third worldwide outage at a public cloud provider in the past two months. Google's service disruption wasn't as long as the five-hour Amazon Web Services outage last month, but the broad impact of both incidents affected each company's technical support and their engineers' ability to communicate with external customer
    and
    Google's incident is also reminiscent of Microsoft's Azure outage in October because of an error in Azure Active Directory that prevented anyone signing in to Office 365 apps and Microsoft cloud services.

a detailed report will be published 'soon'.

For folks who bought into the Smart Home meme, they couldn't turn on the lights, remote lock/unlock exterior doors etc.

I'm reminded of this:

2. DKR

I posted this because - as more and more financial institutions move to the Cloud, you are well advised to keep some cash on hand // in a lockbox -- because when the 'net' is down, your credit/debit card is just so much plastic.

Mountainman, techsar and SB21 like this.
  3. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Always remember that there is no access you can have that someone else cannot also have.

If your treasure and your secrets are safe within The Cloud where only you can get to them, so can everyone else.

Yesterday's unbreakable encryption is tomorrow's Rubik's Cube.

4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

And they want to take us to a cashless society? How can that go wrong for someone.

5. DKR

Google went down again yesterday..wide area internet outages on the East coast.

getting to be a habit.

mysterymet, SB21 and Yard Dart like this.
  6. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Makes me want to invest in Bitcoin. What could possibly go wrong with that. My Bit coin however is a little 1/10 oz gold coin, I also have some bigger-bit coins that are silver (so called junk silver) and biggest bit coin are 1 oz gold.

7. DKR

If you cannot hold in your hand, you do not own it....

SB21, Tempstar and apache235 like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

LYNETTE words

9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

A little over a year ago a 1" slit in our roof membrane took out our entire tech core when it rained. Half a million in gear, lost advertising bucks, and much lost data. Digital data is not safe period. Nothing stored on magnetic media will last forever.

SB21 likes this.
  10. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

But until the mags run out, the cloud will be corrupted.

11. DKR

Funny ain't it?

Seems the local Government just north of here (Mat-Su valley) had a single employee click on one link in an email.
    Much hilarity then ensued for their IT dept.
    - Alaskan borough dusts off typewriters after ransomware attack
    - An Alaska Municipality Suffers a Devastating Ransomware Attack
    - BitPaymer ransomware attack on Alaskan borough forces the employees to work on typewriters | Cyware Hacker News

A year later and the tax records are still not fully up to speed.

Lousy employee training, badly done backups and a host of other issues made paying property taxes and getting permits a nightmare. I'm checking tax records for property out there on a regular basis - not fun for anyone.

Lesson for us?
    Do your own regular backups.
    DO NOT use any emailed links
    Keep paper copies (GASP!) of important documents.

SB21 and Tempstar like this.
  12. DKR

More hilarity ensures in the larger cloud world

Federal Reserve Bank suffers outage | ZDNet

"The Federal Reserve Bank on Wednesday suffered an outage that for a time disrupted all of its services, hampering financial institutions from exchanging money electronically. The disruption, first discovered around 11:15am ET, was the result of a Federal Reserve operational error, the Fed said on its systems status page."

cash in hand keeps looking better every day....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7