What is your favorite edge geometry and why

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Hanzo, Jun 18, 2024.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I'll start off. I like both scandi and convex. Scandi is a little better on wood and convex is stronger and lasts longer. Super general. Many of my knives have a hybrid scandi/convex edge. So basically, the main bevel is scandi and the secondary bevel is convex. Best of both worlds? Hair shaving and more robust than straight scandi. Quick to touch up on the convex secondary bevel. Down side is little more work to get it to that stage.

Knives like Fallkniven come with a convex edge, so I generally keep it convex. The edge stays very sharp, very long.

Others, like Mora, come with scandi. Super sharp, but the edge does wear faster. But simpler to sharpen.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I Usually Use a Convex for working knives and Hollow Ground with a pretty good back grind for ease of sharpening! I find a hollow ground blade to be MUCH sharper but depending on the steel used, the life of the edge becomes the issue! Working edges get machine sharpened, while the others get stoned and stroped by hand!
    My Ax's on the other hand get a "Race Ax" edge, in that it's a very shallow Convex edge for durability, but it's then back cut to almost a hollow grind for serious sharpness, it takes a lot of work to dress an edge, but they usually hold up well enough to make the extra work worth the time and effort!

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Got a picture of your "Race Ax?" I usually just convex my axes.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I had an emergency room doctor comment on how sharp my axe was when my friend borrowed it and almost took his finger off. I hung on with skin like a. pea dispenser. When he saw it, he went white and almost passed out. Had to half carry a 250 pound dude about 50' to have him sit. Did not want him on the ground. Would have been murder picking him up. I reattached it with bandages and tape and had his wife take him to the emergency room. The doctor was amazing. Fully reattached, nerves grew back and when it healed, couldn't even see a scar. Doc said it was because the axe was that sharp.

techsar, Ura-Ki and CraftyMofo like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7