What is this component? Found in old HF iCom radio...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bandit99, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

A friend of mine has an old iCom HF radio of his father's. He noticed when he opened the radio up that his father, who was a long-time Ham and electronics' tinkerer, that it had this component soldered to the lead of the SO-239 connector (he removed if from the radio). I have never seen a component like this before but think it is resistor but, honestly, I am not sure, just guessing. No, I do not know what the other end was soldered to as I haven't looked at the radio myself and the guy really didn't know either, he really isn't good with radios or electronics so...
    Does anyone know what this is? Any guess why it is soldered to the pin of the SO-239?

Also, the component on the left, is that an old-style lamp used in electronic gear to light up meters or...???

image_50373633.

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Terminating resistor.

Bandit99, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Looks like a gas gap surge arrester. Usually external to the shack.

Bandit99, jim2, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

one looks like a resistor and the other like a gas discharge safety device for static discharge.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The item on the left, is a Gas Discharge Device, and depending on the Gas, (Neon) could be a Neon Bulb…The item on the right is an enclosed Terminating Metal Film Resistor…

6. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Bandit99 likes this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Big thanks to all! Thank you! So, we got an old-style neon bulb and a gas discharger for protection...

Function of gas discharge tube:
    Gas discharge tubes are extensively used for the protection of telecommunications plant and equipment against overvoltage caused by lightning, power switching and fault conditions.

duane likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7