UPS for water pump

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Hanzo, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Can anyone suggest an uninterruptible power supply for a water pump?

I have to dig up the pump specs.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Hanzo Is it set up for 115 or 230 volts as now running? Do you want a battery back up for a few hours or a solar cell backup or a generator for an extended time? Do you want to "run" it on backup for an extended amount of time as normal, flush toilets, wash clothes and dog, etc, or just limited use while on backup? How much storage do you have, 5 gallons till pump comes on, 50 gallons?

Switch that the electrician put in that usually says Pump and is usually located next to the well controls at the water tank will often say 115 or 230. If not the main breaker panel will have a switch position marked water pump, if it has one trip handle it is usually 115, if it has two handles ganged together it is 230 volts. If it just has a plug into an outlet, the usual 115 vs the 230 plug will be evident.

I am sure that there are people a lot more qualified than I am that with those questions answered can give you a very good answer.

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and Hanzo like this.
  4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

800 watts to run, probably 3000 to start. So a 4000 watt UPS with as much battery back up as needed to get the required hours of run time. I would figure 1000 watts per hour.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

It's plugged into AC power so pretty sure 115. I want the pump to work as normal if power goes out. Often times, power goes out for short times. Usually minutes and most times not more than 1-2 hours. I have a 10,000 tank.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well pumps and inverters are natural enemies. I say get a grunfos DC pump and run it straight off batteries or a generator if you keep that 115vac pump.

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I tried running it straight off a generator. When the power goes off, pump runs great. Problem is when the power goes back on, the generator ac output turns off and I have to go turn it back on. Not a big deal if we get the occasional big power outage. But we get little spikes throughout the day and it becomes a pain in the butt. So now, the pump is plugged directly into power and the generator is only for big outages.

The UPS’s we have in the house are great. They don’t skip a beat. That's why I was looking for one to use with the pump.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Always wondered if anyone had experimented with a larger 12v battery, with the circuitry of a home UPS, like you'd use for a computer? Sealed or not, shouldn't matter? So long as the charging circuitry can give sufficient flow to recharge the larger battery, I cannot fathom a problem (but I'm NOT an electrician....and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, lately! ;)).

@Hanzo , I'm sure a circuit could be built, to where you could switch, practically seamlessly, between a DC and AC pump. You'd just need a person MUCH smarter than me, to figure it out! But if automatic bus transfer switches can be made to switch between AC sources, there's got to be a way to do this! (y)

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Our pump is AC. And I have a back up generator. Looking at the UPS route so power always on. If power is out for an extended period, then the generator is there.

Gator 45/70 and natshare like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Found one! CyberPower A1500SP1. I have CyberPower UPS units for my offices and really like the product and company service. So I was very happy to find out they make a unit for pumps.

A1500SP1

Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

CyberPower UPS is set up and works great. I almost, ALMOST, want a power outage for a better test. 120 minutes of continuous run time means my pump should be good for up to a day without power since water is not constantly on. With the generator back up, I think we can pump water for a week or more. More likely though, the generator will power a refrigerator.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7