Two new Knives

Discussion in 'Blades' started by GOG, Jul 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

These were made by a knifemaker on another forum.

The large fighter is made from a file, has a 6.5" blade and is a 1/4" thick with ebony scales.
    The marks are left from its previous life. I really like the imperfections.

The small one has a 2.5" blade with walnut scales. It's made from a saw blade.

20190705_124431. 20190705_124220. 20190705_124202.

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Nice

Gator 45/70, Meat, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Brings up the real question, what do you want in a knife? As most of you know, I have no collectable knives and a few that I use that are 50 or more years old. My "hunting-survival knife" will not batton out 2 by 6's for a house after the great collapse, must be kept clean and oiled as it is not stainless, requires sharpening fairly often as it isn't super hard, etc, but it has done everything I wanted to for 60 years. My grand parents butcher, boning, paring, cleavers, etc, have done me well in cooking for 60 years and did them well for 50 or more years before that. I love looking at knives made from old files, cross cut saws, etc, the recycling and utility of their construction strikes a sweet spot in me. I love the fancy knives and the beauty of them and can see their value, but just can't seem to find enough interest to buy them and if I did, would be reluctant to cut up a chicken or deer with them. While I admire the fancy guns, I still end up doing a lot of shooting with a 03 Springfield, sadly "remade" 50 years ago. We have members of this forum who make and collect art knives and I love looking at them and really admire the work and skill that goes into them and enjoy their sharing them with us, but like wives, the knife you choose had better be one you can live with for a long time happily.

4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

beautiful !
    don't those rivits in the handle hurt your hand when you use them?

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  5. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

The grips are smooth. The pins are flush.

They weren't cheap, but they weren't designer knife type of money either. A man's work is worth something.
    I"m sure the small one will get the most use.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That’s about how I feel Duane. I wish I had the time and experience to make my own knives , but I don’t. With still having to work for a living,, I’ve got enough unfinished projects to last till my end of days. But I have just recently, yesterday, decided I need to upgrade to a fixed blade knife. Not that I’ll quit carrying a pocket knife, but in my work, I’m always using a knife, and sometimes I’ll even use it for prying. Yesterday I snapped something in my knife, it still works, but is loose. So I’m gonna be looking for a decent all around use fixed blade beater knife . My K Bar is a little big for carrying,, and I’m in a bigger town a lot , so I don’t want to cause a Swat type Standoff situation because some pantywaste individuals get freaked out over this. But I’ll start looking around ,, and will take recommendations from you good monkeys here.

Gator 45/70, Meat and GOG like this.
  7. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Something like this is pretty non threatening and it's a heck of a knife. Made by Hella in Norway.

20190510_132520. 20190510_132538.

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

They are a lovely pair of blades mate !!! Top one looks to have a Little Reeve and a little Randal in the design. I like it !!

Meat, GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Kruel J

Kruel J Monkey

@GOG Those are sharp looking knives.

:D

Meat and GOG like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Andy the Aussie
  4. JLRhiner
  5. Hanzo
  6. Hanzo