Trunks Open

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’ve seen this many times now. Trunks open with nobody around. I’m thinking that folks are bumping their auto-opener fob from afar. The last time I shut the same trunk twice in a half an hour. (Was checking on the dogs in my vehicle) Don’t lose yer stuff. :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    HK_User, Motomom34, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Excellent security tip!

Cadillac has had several models that do this as the battery goes dead. I saw a very nice Mercedes that sat in front of a local store through Hurricane Florence with the trunk wide open. On some trunks and lift gates there are pressure switches along the edges that sense things jammed in the trunk lid when there is nothing there. This will reverse an automatic closing system and unlatch a closed trunk, sometimes at random.

Only sure way to avoid this is to disconnect the auto trunk release. There are enough frequencies out there that random weird stuff can happen. Like the aftermarket remote start system that would start a truck in the parking lot when we hit the lock button on another cars remote. If thieves can open your trunk by remote control, can they go through your folding back seat and get into the car? If they can't find the release handles (because you moved/removed them) they'll at least be frustrated, and may find a more promising target.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Once had the electric backdoor on my minivan do that. Even worse, a thing I had in back slipped back and blocked the door from closing! It was going up and down repeatedly! I was eating breakfast at a Waffle House at the time. Got a good laugh from the other customers as I hustled outside to fix it. :oops:

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Mercedes will auto lock every thing if the battery goes dead, you can only un lock the drivers door, and have to pop the hood to jump it, just to then pop the trunk where the battery is hidden! Royal pain in the arse, but its super secure! Lol
    Still, love that car though, 230,000 miles and going as strong as the day it was bought!

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Wow is me, no auto any openers.

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I've got a ford sedan. these damn things have an electrical gremlin.
    they have this nice release button on the outside that gets water infiltration and completes the circuit that causes the trunk to release.
    no hands required, no button, no user interaction at all.

needless to say, I pulled off the trunk decklid liner and disconnected the power to the release mechanism, unfortunately it's now a trunk that I can only fill from the inside of the vehicle .. well until spring when its warmer and I can fix it outside as I hate working on cars in sub freezing weather.

Gator 45/70, HK_User, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

hidden key in AIO remote .
    Do NOT leave key in ign over night , you will buy a SAM

Tech here !!!

Gator 45/70, Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Both the Benz and Dodge SRT have a hidden key in the keyless remotes! Lol!
    Been driving Mercedes Benz for over 30 years, nothing better at any price! 20190310_212720. 20190310_213015. 20180830_151538.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Gator 45/70, HK_User and Meat like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I like my old 1967 cheve truck, simple. like me.

10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Problem Solved....

[​IMG]

Ganado, Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

[worthless]

Dunerunner and Meat like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7