Transport Crisis? 3, 4 or 6 Months for Delivery!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wildbilly, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Recently I was in the market for a disc harrow to go with my small tractor, and to complete my collection of farm equipment. Since I work at Rural King and get a discount, I had planned to purchase one through them, but the manufactures wouldn't be able to deliver for 3-4 months. The Tractor/Equipment Sales Manager told me that I might have to check online for a used disc. I did and I am now the owner of a gently used Ford 201 disc harrow that is nearly as old as I am. The metal is sound, although it has no paint and is rusty. I'm gonna take it a part, prime and paint it, and reassemble it using new bolts, washers and nuts. Sometime this summer it should be as good as new and a lovely shade of John Deere Green. I was telling the Tractor/Equipment Sales Manager about my purchase, and he told me that he had just gotten an email informing him that all deliveries of equipment had been pushed back to 6 months. I got lucky, but he was stuck with the unenviable task of informing customers of the delay. Most customers will cancel their orders, especially since that cost of delivery can't be quoted at this time. Also, the purchase price might be subject to change...and you can bet that it isn't going to go down!
    So, if you think that you are going to need something or just think that you might want something...ORDER IT NOW! But be prepared to wait and to pay through the nose for it!

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

All the delays, shipping problems, skyhigh prices...... Thanks, democrats and Biden!
    Remember this come election time. Supply and prices are far better under a GOP President.

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

don't think that this a democrat/republican issue.
    It started off when we offshored our production back in the late 1970s. I think it was GE that started the mad rush to cheaper production.
    The supply chain then began to get way longer and introduced risks that weren't visible to the typical consumer until the world caught the Wuhan flu. And when your manufacture in a distant land says ... lockdown .. well nothing is getting produced nor shipped.
    then throw on top of that consumers across the globe getting showered with 'free cash' and an account at amazon, we hammered the shippers so what ever they had in stock it was coming to our homes.
    At that point, china had us by the short and curlies. all they have to say is, sorry mr. manufacturer, the entire city is on lockdown. Nothing in, nothing out.

So blame game goes in this order:
    • shareholders, we should blame the shareholders of corporations. They demanded large dividends and increased share prices. The corps found the cheapest markets for labor and commodities.
    • Then to the city of Wuhan.
    • then to the consumers.
    Politicians just make everything worse so they are the multiplication factor on top of the whole mess.

4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Just in time inventory at every level of the supply chain hasn't helped either.

5. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

And if you want to point your fingers at the root cause, make certain to look at consumers who wanted inexpensive consumer goods. But still wanted $30/hour jobs, at the same time. Sorry, but you can't build TV sets for $300, if you're paying someone a $30/hour wage to build them! The real nail in the coffin was when NAFTA made it easier for companies to export jobs.

adkpete, HK_User, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Local ag dealer doesn't know when he can get tractors, manufacturers will not commit to independent dealers, cost of US produced stuff going thru the roof. Steel up, fuel up, electricity up, wages up, no sure things in the imports needed to build things. Germany, etc don't know if energy will be available or if there will be war. A perfect storm is about to happen or is already in progress.

Store shelves are emptying out, friend with small independent store unable to even buy about 25 % of the things he bought last year. Bought coffee from local chain, last batch 3 lbs for $20, this batch 2 pounds for $18. Less than $2 a gallon for gas when Biden was sworn in, $3.50 a gallon on the way home. If Russia cuts off oil, have no idea what it will go up. Propane for water heater and cook stove has about doubled. If you haven't stocked up before now, it will be very expensive and of limited availability now and in the near future.

All depends on next election, all the eggs are in one basket and every trick that can be played will be done by both sides. May already be to late for any real change, only time will tell. Going to be interesting times and a rough ride no matter what happens, $30 trillion and counting national debt, borders out of control, increasing cultural and racial discord, near 0 interest rates, giving money away like a drunken sailor to buy votes, minimum wage hikes, run away inflation, what could possibly go wrong.

7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I ordered parts for my tractor's engine. It took months and months and i had 3 open orders at different suppliers and once the head gasket arrived from one, i cancelled the other two.

HK_User, duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

You FINALLY got that part?:eek:o_O I told you it was stuck on a slow boat from China!:LOL:

Gator 45/70, HK_User, duane and 2 others like this.
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Did that already, purchased and received a large tiller for a 35 HP tractor about 6 months ago and have a few other items to put together.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

The Amish have the right idea ---horse and plow no parts needed. Been waiting 4 months for lawnmower parts this has gotten ugly

Gator 45/70 and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  11. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

This is why we don't special order without a deposit

VisuTrac, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

My Mother has an older toilet in her home (c. 1960) and the flush valve needed replacing. The plumber ordered the part before Christmas....and nothing! I ordered the part on Amazon and got it in 2 weeks!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7