Tractors and Backhoes...advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bandit99, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I am in need of advice...

I recently sold my Skid Steer and V-plow and am shopping for a tractor. I think I have settled on a Kubota LX2610 (25 HP). My needs are simply as it is only for property management (I've 5 acres) not farming or etc. so spreading gravel, hauling firewood and dirt, lifting stuff...and snow removal (big reason!) so I think this little 25 HP tractor (no emission controls) will work well.

I am also considering a backhoe to go with it mainly because I have so many stumps that need removed. A few stumps are 18 inches but most are much smaller 8-14 inches. Here's my dilemma... I can rent a 13,000 pound excavator for $330 a day (plus another $100 to have it delivered) which really would be a better machine to dig stumps or purchase the backhoe for $9200 and while it would take me longer to dig the stumps at least I would have it around when I need it. But...I could rent the excavator about 20X and stumps are the only real reason I have for a backhoe at this time... For what its worth the Kubota BH77 backhoe dig depth is 7.5 feet...

So, I am sort of stuck in my decision process. Frankly, I have never ran a backhoe or excavator so I am damn short on experience to base my decision.

Any recommendations/advice or experience, on tractors or backhoes you can tell me certainly will help. I need to get something on order here soon...do I drop another $10K on a backhoe or simply rent?

Yard Dart, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You need to look at the bigger picture, How much can/will you use your equipment? Besides digging stumps, is there any other reason to have a backhoe? What about plowing, can a small tractor such as that Kubota actually handle that? Would you be using it for mowing? What about lifting things, can that be done with such a tractor, or do you need bigger, or do you really need it at all!
    Not trying to talk you out of anything here, just getting you thinking about your usability and how much use you can get out of a unit, and if there might be a better option you might not have though of!
    For us, the bigger Kubota was certainly a better option, but it still left us hanging on the bigger needs, and the dozer was doing quite a job, but was also limited in the scope of things it could do! Our answer really was a quantum shift beyond what we ever thought of, and yet, it's utility is un matched, though the price was YUGE!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Most folks in our A.O. run ether the Kubota 44 hp tractors or the equivalents from John Deere. When we first bought the place, my neighbor brought over his Kubota and helped us with the demo and trash clean up, that tractor was king! It could dig and move earth, but it took forever, and it could lift stuff, but was a little Shakey with the heavier stuff, still, it was an awesome rig, perfect for what everyone around here uses them for!
    We have to plow a lot of snow half the year, and then road repair the other half, so, these small tractors don't work for any of that, and while the Cat would seem perfect, it's too slow! The one neighbor has a monster Cat 998 wheel loader, and I have my Cat 545 Telli-Reach Grapple Skidder with ripper blade, and I can out push both the dozer and the bucket loader and do the job much faster too! About the only thing the skidder cannot do is dig, and the dozer cannot ether! Which brings me back to the beginning, we don't have a digger, but we have neighbors who do, and it's a question we ask all the time, do we actually need to dig?

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Buy the Kubota minus the backhoe attachment since this will cost 1/2 much as the tractor.
    Rent the trackhoe, It'll only take you 30 minutes or so to get a good grip on operating that bad boy.
    Dig the stumps and flip em upside down, You'll have extra dirt but don't stop !
    move on the the next stump dig and flip.
    You should have dirt left over for the garden.
    4ft bush hog
    4 ft tiller
    4 ft box blade
    You need the bucket on the front end to plow sneaux or haul you name it.
    Be prepared for moocher neighbors that want to borrow the machine.
    Never ever loan out that tractor...ever !!!

oldawg, TnAndy, Tempstar and 4 others like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Can you blow up the stumps?

Tempstar, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I have a small John Deere/yanmar tractor, 770 with a 70 backhoe. It’s about 23 hp and like 19-20 at the pto.
    A few thoughts:
    - I really wish I had about 5-10 more hp. When using a 5’ wide bush hog, it is light on power. Heavy brush bogs it down even though it’s diesel.
    - It is a bit light in hp for a pto driven generator which can be a very good prep. Most want about 25 hp or more at the pto (10 kw I think)
    - The tractor is a bit light on lifting power with the front bucket. It can raise 500 pounds ok but it’s amazing the number of things I try to move that are just beyond its capabilities. If my unit could lift 800+ with the bucket it be a huge help.
    - when doing landscape type work a hydrostatic drive with quick shuttle forwards and back is great. Downside is it is less fuel efficient.
    - I run out of hydraulic power in my backhoe. 23 hp is fine for backhoe, but cylinder sizes and system pressure combine to be not quite enough for normal size bites in hard soil, I have to take baby bites. Be sure you have enough digging capability.
    - I have found multiple projects for my backhoe as have a couple neighbors. I use it a fair amount even though it’s a pain to install/remove. Depending on how “done” or finished all the work on your homestead is that may help decide.

So, my experience is a small tractor and backhoe have been very handy but if too small can be a bit frustrating. Maybe try and rent a similar size tractor and backhoe to what you are considering to purchase and see if it will be adequate or just frustrating before pulling the trigger.

AT

7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

If all you want the backhoe for is stump removal, consider renting a stump grinder instead. WAY cheaper than renting a track hoe. Consider also that most stump grinders will deflect the chips into the hole where they will decay and subside over time. I think (but do NOT know) that the deflectors can be removed and let the chips fly leaving a hole that you can refill with whatever is handy.

Bandit99 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

I crossed that bridge about 10 years ago. Small tractor with implements including front end loader is my go to machine. If I need a backhoe, I rent from a buddy in town on the weekend and pay the mate rate plus diesel. I always pressure wash the backhoe as a Big Thank You.

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

5 acres isn’t usually big enough to use Energetics on stumps, without a lot of prep digging before each shot… and you better have a very good handle on how much to use in each shot, or you are either, going to rain dirt & Rocks all over the neighborhood, or not move the stump in question…. Just say’en YMMV…

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Bandit99

@Ura-Ki "You need to look at the bigger picture, How much can/will you use your equipment? Besides digging stumps, is there any other reason to have a backhoe? What about plowing, can a small tractor such as that Kubota actually handle that? Would you be using it for mowing? What about lifting things, can that be done with such a tractor, or do you need bigger, or do you really need it at all!"
    All good questions which I think (I sure hope) I have honestly pondered for the past week. Besides digging stumps, no I have no other reason for a backhoe. No, I won't be mowing with it and if SHTF then yes, we would put in a bigger garden so we'd use it to plow (which is another reason to remove the stumps!). I believe the LX2610 is strong enough to plow a garden, not a farm field, but certainly a garden. Lifting things...it is rated for 1300 lbs. I would be lifting gravel, dirt, firewood and (using a grapple) slash, so 1300 lbs is probably enough. Would I like a higher capacity? Sure! But, reality bites and for what I have to lift it will do fine, worse case, I lift two loads instead of one. Your last question "do you really need it at all!" is answered by snow removal. I must have something. Yeah, I could get a old pickup then put a plow on it (we call them snow trucks here) but finding a reliable old truck here is next to impossible (everyone buys them up immediately) then I also miss out on having a Front End Loader that can ease my pain for a multitude of chores. I had a Skid Steer but I want something not so heavy that it leaves deep ruts everywhere (it didn't have tracks) and I couldn't transport it without buying a heavier truck and a heavy trailer. It weighed 5500 Ibs, nothing compared to your Cat 545 but it was way overkill for me. So, I think a lighter tractor (2350 Ibs including the FEL, less than half weight of skid steer), with wide tires to better distribute weight, and much better ground clearance plus purchasing it new then I will know its history. Working on a Skid Steer or even your Cat 545 is definitely not an easy chore. Frankly, even changing the oil was a real PIA, maintenance on a tractor is a breeze compared to it. So, I feel confident I can truly justify a tractor but not so sure about backhoe...thinking more and more it might be better to rent something to get these stumps out but damn it would be handy to grab when I see a small stump I want to remove but...I guess I truly can't justify it.

@Airtime "I have a small John Deere/yanmar tractor, 770 with a 70 backhoe. It’s about 23 hp and like 19-20 at the pto.
    A few thoughts: - I really wish I had about 5-10 more hp. When using a 5’ wide bush hog, it is light on power."

Hmm...this is concerning as the one I am considering is about the same size, 25 HP with 19 HP at the PTO. And, yes, I could see the possibility of using a bush hog in the future so...they make a LX3310 that is 30.8 HP with 27 HP at the PTO, next size up for $4000 more, exactly same tractor frame and FEL, just larger engine, over 25 HP so it has the emission control stuff on it. I need to give this some thought. Maybe the larger one would be best to give me some overhead just in case I need it...Thanks!

@oil pan 4 "Can you blow up the stumps?"

errr...No, OP4. No, I think not. LOL! It might be fun though but...no. :)

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

TractorData.com Kubota LX2610 tractor information
    TractorData.com Kubota B2150 tractor information
    I run a Kubota 2150 with AG tires on rear , construction tires on front , without backhoe on
    the snowblower is hard to control , bucket and snow justs makes a mess to clean up when the snow is gone.
    Back hoe is used as a lift to load heavy things in my trailer etc.
    Get one !! I have rototiller ,backhoe ,post pounder , auger , scrape rear blade , brush hog, front i have quick change (bobcat style) loader bucket,forks,grapple,, tow trailer hitch (to move trailers or 5th wheels) --then snow blower .
    Plus I have a excavator as well. Kubota has 1080 hrs on it.
    Sloth
    construction tires is my choice now , AG are slippery

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

For me I only got 2 stumps I really want to remove, but they are right next to the house. If out in the field I cut the tree off at dirt level and leave it.
    If I had a reason to remove the field stumps I would grab some blue spray paint, tag NASA on the side and send them up.

Gator 45/70, Bandit99 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

See, this is where the Grapple comes in really handy, I can ether pinch the stumps in half, then yank them out, or simply grab and yank, or ram a few times to loosen up, then grab and shake or toss to get the dirt off, then off to the chipper for firestarter pressings! Bonus is with these YUGE tires, I'm actually not chewing up the place as bad as the Dozer does, and with a road speed of almost 30 mph, I can actually go places and "Self deliver" to other work areas! My cousins place is about 6 miles by road, the Dozer takes half an hour to get there, chewing up the dirt/gravel road all the way! I also have a 2 axle buggy cart with a long tow bar and big cable loop, just grab the loop with the grapple and tow it along and then load it with what ever, usually small logs to buck and split!
    Thinking of adding a set of bunks to it, or making a new buggy with integral bunks and converting this one to a water tank! Will see how this fire season goes, looks like it's gonna be a bad one!

Gator 45/70 and Bandit99 like this.
  14. Cruisin Sloth

[worthless]

I did mine , quick shots
    Sloth

Yard Dart and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

You have another option. Look to see if you have a Mahindra tractor dealer
    in your area. They are a great tractor and a warranty better than most.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. Bandit99

@Cruisin Sloth "...without backhoe on the snowblower is hard to control..."
    That is good to know - ballast. I figure it would help in the snow. Also, using it to load stuff would be handy. I will get a rake grapple, like yours, in the near future (probably now) as sick to death of picking up the slash by hand, takes way too long by hand.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Been running around the place getting caught back up after the last 5 years of nothing, got a ass load of boulders to move, downed trees to buck and skid, and make into firewood! Haven't even broken the Skidder out yet, still have a lot of snow on the ground, especially the shaded areas! First job is to fix the road, though the last 3/4 mile is pretty much as it was left from last time, other then some drainage issues. Soon as the snows melt, gotta get up into the fire roads and see how bad they grew over, prolly gonna need a bunch of raking and slash burning next winter. Will have to get some pictures up once we get a good start! Got all the equipment started up and running, batteries charged, and fuel being delivered to top off what is already here! So far, so good, but a lot of work ahead!

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and Bandit99 like this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Wheel weights cost less and maneuvering with them is easier than with that stinger sticking out the back. Weight and chains work well, no matter the weight.

Gator 45/70, Bandit99 and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I just knocked the wheel weights off the Skidder, between collecting snow and mud, they make one hell of a mess, and provide little extra for the hassle! At least the chains provide traction and weight, not that I really need the weight!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Cruisin Sloth

Weights SUCK and do squat , Load ballist tires like my pictures !
    S

Gator 45/70, Merkun and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7