Top Survival Crops

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by chelloveck, Feb 21, 2024.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

"The Dirty Dozen"...

These are crops which can be grown in a garden with hand tools and low tech gardening techniques. Some of those plants can be grown using guerilla gardening techniques.
    1. Corn
    2. Green Beans
    3. Squash (Pumpkin)
    4. Peas
    5. Kale
    6. Sunflower
    7. Tomatoes
    8. Okra
    9. Onions / Garlic
    10. Spinach
    11. Potatoes
    12. Sweet Potatoes

natshare, 3M-TA3 and Wildbilly like this.
  2. chelloveck

3. chelloveck

4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I would include wheat, because that would give me two grain crops that have different growing seasons and harvests. That would reduce the risk of total crop failure and provide a more varied diet!
    Also, any kind of beans, not just green beans. All winter squash not just pumpkins. Kale is good, but so are mustard, turnip greens, rape, and collards. Also, collards have the advantage of not freezing...at least around here.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    chelloveck likes this.
  5. chelloveck

I guess people can make their own variations as suits their climate / geography / personal circumstances. I think the self sufficiency criteria that the plants could be produced by gardening with basic hand tools, rather than being farmed reliant on mechanisation was the guiding factor. Some suggested Amaranth as a grain option for high yield production on small garden plots. Intensive rice production may be viable in places that have good access to water.

6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

For preppers, one of the most important factors when selecting what foods to grow is storability. Most veggies and green leafy stuff require canning, pickling, drying, freezing, etc. The grains, seed, winter squash, beans, peas, onions, garlic, and potatoes are much easier to store.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I tried growing potatoes in new Mexico. Bright green butterfly larvae I have never seen in new Mexico appeared and started gorging them selves on the leaves.

8. chelloveck

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Maringa trees are good food and grow almost anywhere.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7