The Passing Parade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chelloveck, Jan 8, 2022.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I have learned of Sidney Poitier and Betty White's passing in recent days: Two great actors and remarkable people who led long and productive lives, practicing their theatrical craft.

In thinking about them, and their lives, and their passing, my consciousness was brought, by a trail of thought bubbles, to John Nesbitt's 'Passing Parade' of cinematic short films, which I watched regularly on television reruns in the mid to late 1950's. They were tightly scripted and covered a wide variety of topics. They were in some sense the morality tales of their times...and the cinematic equivalent of Norman Rockwell paintings of American life, back in the day. Some of these shorts are viewable on Youtube still, and some are available in downloadable form from Archive.org John Nesbitt's Passing Parade: The Fabulous Fraud (1948) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Here for your entertainment and nostalgia, is one such episode: 'The Great American Mug'

One enduring memory for me is the series' signature tune, adapted from Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony. Us children put our own words to it...."save one for me, I gotta go and pee". ;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7