Recipe The Expendable's Famous "Cocoa Jalapeño Turkey Chili"

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by The Expendable, Jan 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

I posted this recipe a few months ago on another forum, but since I'm back on the Monkey I thought it would be nice to share with all my new friends. This recipe was actually the first thing I experimented with when I got my pressure canner. I'm happy to say it was a success. In fact, I'll probably open another quart this weekend <mouth watering>...

Here is the recipe for my famous "Cocoa Jalapeño Turkey Chili". Actually, I got the basic recipe online, but I modified it somewhat to suit my tastes. There are three secret ingredients in it; Liquid Smoke, beer and hot cocoa mix. The cocoa mix gives it just a hint of sweetness that people will love, but they won't quite be able to figure out what it is. It's just spicy enough with one jalapeño pepper in it, but you could add another one, or even substitute a habernero pepper to really kick it up. One other variation is to substitute one of the cans of red kidney beans with a can of corn. I have made it that way too. City Girl likes the corn in it, but I prefer it without.

I promise you, your family will love this chili. You have The Expendable's word on that!

Cocoa Jalapeño Turkey Chili

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
    Ready In: 1 Hour 25 Minutes
    Servings: 8

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    2 large green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
    1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 pounds lean ground turkey
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 envelope instant hot chocolate mix
    2 teaspoons seasoned salt
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
    1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, green peppers and jalapeño pepper; cook and stir until the onion is transparent. Push these to one side of the pot, and crumble in the ground turkey. Cover, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the meat is no longer pink. Stir everything together so the garlic doesn't burn.

2. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, paprika, cumin, oregano, pepper, hot cocoa mix and seasoned salt. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, diced tomatoes with green chilies, tomato sauce and kidney beans. Stir in the beer. Partially cover the pan, and simmer over medium heat for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Mix in the hot pepper sauce, and simmer for about 10 more minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.

Sapper John and tacmotusn like this.
  2. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

Oh yeah, here's a picture of the final product. Kind of hard to really get a feel for the texture and color of the chili, since it's already been canned. Like I said, this was my first attempt at canning anything.

Chili%2525201.

tacmotusn likes this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

NICE !!!!

1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes