The Concise Household Encyclopedia

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by chelloveck, Sep 28, 2024.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

This compendium was published in Britain in 1939/1940 at the beginning of WW2. The content reflects the knowledge of the time, and some information is dated and has been superseded by later knowledge and technology, notably in the medical / health arena. Judgement would be advisable in applying some recommendations.

https://ia601609.us.archive.org/15/items/CHEInPDF/CHE in PDF.pdf

I have the two volume set in hardcover, a little care worn by previous owners, but entertaining, and instructive reading.

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I wonder if the computer/internet age will be the death of the encyclopedia companies? It's so different now for as a child, if I didn't have a set of encyclopedias, I would have to walk to the nearest library, find the book in the library, find the information in the book and walk home, could take a half a day or more at very least. Now, got the info in seconds on any subject... Knowledge is power and that is power, pure power. It will be interesting to see how it affects the following generations. In theory, one would think this would improve their overall intelligence greatly, really be an advance for mankind overall. It would be interesting to see a study on this.

3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

hmmm... interesting issue there... think those books should still be relevant considering the possible loss of power for lengthy period of time...

4. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

@Bandit99 yes you find (the) information,problem is you have no idea how accurate it is.If its the best source where google send you to,or the most paying.

Bandit99 likes this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Definitely a good point!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7