Survivalist Vehicles ... what is your's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tacmotusn, Feb 6, 2015.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

All kinds of questions come to mind when I think of Post SHTF Vehicles.

Will EMP weapons be used against us by one or more of our many haters of the USA?

In my early life due to necessity I worked on all my vehicles if I could. Today, I don't even change my own oil and filter. It is not that I don't know how, or have the tools, it is just so damn easy to let someone else do it. I have rehabbed broken and derelict motorcycles, rode them for a while and then sold them. Each and every motorcycle and different makes have their own problem areas and the need for special tools. I have worked as an outboard motor mechanic on Mercury Outboards of the early 70s. Ditto on tools and special equipment.

By far the most straight forward and easy to work on vehicles imho were the Volkswagon bugs from 1949 to 1979. The gas horizontal air cooled 4 cylinders.

Over a number of years, I learned how to repair or replace almost anything on a VW bug. I owned 3 of them and 2 vans as well. For the way I drive, the vans were just too heavy and non aerodynamic and the engines could not take the abuse I gave them. Stock motors in the bugs also always failed me to start with, but necessity drove me to learn how to build a reliable motor from a bare or long block and end up with a very reliable bug with more performance and better gas mileage than the stock motors had.

In the process I learned how to construct an awesome high performance street legal, daily driven steel bodied bug that was clocked at 139mph. It was not out of power at 139mph, but was getting very squirrely to control without wrecking. A short wheelbase platform like that without modifications to suspension and steering and down force is just not meant to be driven at that speed. It ain't legal anyway.

I am going to obtain a project car (VW Bug - old style) to make into a 2 bucket seat, pickup truck, with a reliable new engine built from scratch that will easily accelerate to 80 plus mph and get 30 to 35 mpg or better, and not be subject to the fear of EMP shutdown. I will also obtain various spare parts for future repairs. I am hoping to start a dialog with others who have Survivalist Vehicles that address the threat of EMP and other concerns.

Examples such as Camo Golf carts with Battery motors and solar collector roof charging system. Diesel Motorcycles, ATVs, other Trucks and Cars modified accordingly. Maybe we should have a sub forum for this.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
    kellory, hank2222 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. driftz240

driftz240 Monkey

I own a 1967 kaizer m35a2 for that post apocolyptico stuff. old school mechanical diesel should survive. im guessing anyway. batteries might blow but they are in sort of a faraday cage with rubber mat under them. im not sure. but im assuming the deuce would be easy to get back up and running if it did go down. vw's should be good too. anything pre computer, points and condenser.

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I have a couple perspectives, that may be wrong, but their mine. I don't know exactly what fuel will be available should the SHTF. It seems to me being in a position to deal with the options is good provided its economically feasible. So, I have a nice gasoline generator (6.8 kw), a very nice diesel generator (12 kw) , and a project generator (2.5 kw) that is still in the works to become a wood gas unit (roughly 1.5 kw).

Seems it might be good to follow a similar path for transportation.

AT

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

If my car is rendered no good then my bicycle will be it. I would love to figure out if I could motorize it.

KAS likes this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

There is a horse ranch about two miles from me, if I can get there before people start eating them!! I figure four should be enough.

tacmotusn likes this.
  6. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Moto check around the web. There are several outfits selling bolt on kits of different configs.Several around town here seem to work OK.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes, moto, there are several ways to motorize your bike. There are hub motors, that turn the wheel with DC power, and there are helper motors that turn the rubber by friction (several versions of that type) both in gas and battery. I can cite versions later if you are serious. I am interested in doing that to one of mine as well.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Don't they shoot horse thieves there?

3cyl, Yard Dart and VisuTrac like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

If they are abandoned, it ain't stealing.... Further, my back up plan is to purchase with some worthless greenbacks reserving the home brewed beer, ammunition, toilet paper and gold for real barter.

10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Yota landcruiser diesel

11. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

ït aint steeling if it is abandoned"
    interesting commment ...
    Dont matter to me

12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Depends upon your definition of abandoned. As our pioneers crossed the plains, there was a great deal of stuff abandoned along the way, as horses died, or wagons broke, or people were injured and had to be carried. They did what they had to do. But those family treasures, were left behind for good and all. They were used by anyone who picked them up.

13. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

F-250 with slide in camper Canoe on top and mountainbikes on the bumper.

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

Gonna hafta b my jeep cherokee i guess.....cause it only one i have running lol got an awd santa fe as well but gotta put an alt in er. And they run like 300$. Jeep os 4wd can strap canoe and tents to roof lsy down seats for supplies and hounds and give er i guess lol

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Boat if by sea
    4x4 Ford + trailer
    Honda Rancher

16. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Just wanted all to be aware. I understand abandoned as well as stealing. A man has to do what he feels is necessary to live and feed his family. Breaking the law (yes I understand post shtf .... all bets are off) has consequences. One should always be aware that they might be violating someone elses rights, and think before they act.

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Is that dog being lazy or just guarding dat yak?

lol

madmax likes this.
  18. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Guard dog? No. Watch dog yes. He takes care of 4 legged furry critters. I take care of the two legged ones.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7