Survival training, an experiment

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by dragonfly, Jan 30, 2010.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I took 6 people of ages 24-48 and asked them a set of 6 questions.....

I was thrown 'sideways' when I read their response to the very first question.
    All were given this "test" on the internet...No one knew about any of the others taking the test, and had/have no idea of who I am....

Question #1:
    What will you do, and how will you obtain water in order to survive ?
    One answer was: "with my 870".
    Another was: "with my 7.62".

That pretty much did it for me...!
    Of course, I could not let it go.....
    I contacted both people and asked how they chose that method, and how they figured they could get water with a firearm...

Only one person answered...The "7.62" person.
    "I will take what I want and to hell with anyone else"!
    I aked him IF he had considered that perhaps the water they were about to "TAKE", may be being watched by another person with say a .308, or .30-06 with much longer range capabilities than they had...possibly even a trained professional Sniper....
    (you'll love this!)
    "Well I won't need any water then, if they kill me will I"?
    He went on to advise me that HE had no doubt that he would have to kill a lot of people for him to survive, but he had faith in his Saiga rifle.
    I wonder what the "870" guy would have said?

I think my idea of doing any training or having classes, is so far out of my league, I'll just forget the insanity of it all after this test trial!

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It seems to me that there will be more roving bands than I thought. Time for a rethink of the fields of fire around here.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

That makes 4 of us!
    People are dangerous, and I never really knew just how quickly they would go that route....I am amazed.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yup. The very first thing that a lot of people will do is take whatever they can from anybody not willing to put up a fight. Generally, making the mistake of trying to steal from an armed and prepared person is a one-time mistake....but there are a lot of people out there who will make mistakes.

It doesn't look good for anybody bugging in around high population centers.

5. Most of the people that form those types of bands will probably be killed off soon either by each other or by people who are prepared, personally I would want to be one that is prepared for those guys.

6. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

That doesn't suprise me much, most people have lost any connection to a moral lifestyle in modern times. I'm not even getting into religious beliefs, either. It's easier to take by force, rather than learn how to take care of yourself. It just seems to be another form of entitalment. Most people forget that no matter how big or powerful you think you are, there is always someone out there bigger, faster, has more endurance, etc. It's a hard lesson to learn for some.

Thanks for the heads up, dragonfly!

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I can't tell you how many times I have heard the same thing when I discussed having a little extra food and water for hard times. "Well, I have a gun I will take what I want." Usually my response is "you know this is Texas, pretty much everyone has a gun, and many have a lot of training on how to use it." That pretty well stops them in their tracks. I try not to beat the preparedness lifestyle on others, but when visiting friends and family I do peak into their cupboards and pantries. Then I comment on what their food stocks look like. I have actually had an affect on some. Last time I went to see my sister and her family I was peaking into her rather cavernous pantry, when she remarked on how I should be impressed on how she was stocking up, I complimented her and told her what she was missing. Too many people believe that they will just take what others have, and its not just the thugs driving 'round on 22's, it will be your neighbor if he is unprepared and hungry.

8. pcc

pcc Monkey+

I firmly believe that my biggest problem will be with neighbors/people that live within a 2 or 3 mile radius of me that aren't prepared. Water really isn't a problem around where I live, plenty of springs, ponds, creeks and a major river two hours walk away.

Food will be what they're after.

9. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I've run into that line of thought before. I've been told that "When the time comes, we'll just take what we want". And they're not just talking about material things!
    These people are hoping for a breakdown in the social order, I think they pray for anarchy and chaos.
    It's bad enough just trying to think of ways to keep a small community going during a prolonged emergency situation, but this kind of mentality among the population has to be considered too, and a plan to deal with it.

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

...and this is today....
    I am seriously concerned about those that have already made their choices to "take by force", when tomorrow comes around.....
    I am one that does not want to see all of the societal ills and a crash of any means...BUT, I will do what I can to prepare myself and family and friends to make it throught the bad times....

11. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

There are a lot of folks with that kind of mentality but I think they would mostly be a short term problem. The majority with that attitude are unskilled and untrained since most who know anything about combat know that it usualy means bullets going BOTH ways and would prefer to avoid new holes in their own bodies. Given that and the genneraly acepted military idea that it take about a 10 to 1 advantage to be likely to take a dug in position and they would mostly be attacking homes and camps occupied by people who are likely of at least equal skill, their numbers will be massively thinned quickly. Add to that that they will also likely be fighting one another since other bandits have what they want, community mentalities that remain after society goes away sending posseys after them and a lot of them that survive first encounters narrowly getting attitude adjustments from dodging lead and I figure that while it would be a big problem for a short time I think most of those types will be thinned quickly. That said Im sure there will be the occasional band of trained and organized sociopaths that will be a greater and on going threat for a longer time but again, if the niceties of society go away I see public hangings and honest folks banding together for mutual benifit to bring bandits old style justice to protect their own. So even the majority of these would be weeded out in the first few seasons IMHO.

12. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Very interesting points here. There are a lot of people that claim to be in prepared and are nothing more than armed. The average person has only 3 days of food in their home at any given time :rolleyes:

If you listen in on other sites, you will find a lot of people that believe that preparedness means stocking up on enough weapons, ammo, and equipment to the point they look like an ODA operator. Those same people have nothing saved for food beyond a few cases of MREs. I am all about defending yourself and have my stock in that regard but, remember that those ODA operators are supported by a large group of individuals that keep them stocked and supplied. Not nearly the same as potential SHTF situations.

More are prepared for war than are prepared for living. Generally speaking, though, those type of armchair commandos, mall guard types are not well trained and will likely be killed soon after the SHTF. I can say that none will come within 850M (given no wind) of my place without meeting a little something I concocted.

Think sustainable.... best advice we can give. Sustainable in food, water, weaponry. In a lot of ways that means going primitive or at least 1.5 centuries ago.

ETA: As for a plan to deal with these types.... I think a common understanding and defense at the "neighbor" level needs to be talked about ahead of time. Find those few you trust and band together for the commonwealth.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7