Survival shotgun set up

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hank2222, Mar 15, 2021.

1. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

Ok here is a idea I have been playing around with for a few months now

single shot 12.ga shot 3..”chamber with following modifications done to
    barrel cut back to 20.”inches long with threaded Interchangeable choke tubes on the unit
    Each choke is design for diff types of hunting
    Bird upland type of birds
    Turkey
    Squirrel
    Etc
    1913 picatinny rail on barrel for quick mounting of rifle scope and red dot scopes set ups
    Heavy duty cerakote flat black color on all barrel and other parts
    Dark walnut stock and forend
    With following scopes
    1.-x-4.-x-24mm scope set up
    Aim point red dot scope set up

barrel insert -each barrel insert is 18.”inches long
    Calibers
    22.l.r.
    44.magnum
    410..ga -45.long colt also
    This idea system for the area I’m in now the hunting is at less than 100.max range because of heavy forest land in and round the house .So take a deer is good for me out to 75. Yards max range

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@hank2222 Been a while since I ha ve seen you here, welcome back...

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That setup will work. Do a bit of looking around, the basic gun is probably available. The needed mods will take a good smith. Welcome home @hank2222

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

In heavy forests a shotgun is a very good choice. I fell about 12 deer with a shotgun with 00 buck, just about always hit them from the side. The 00 buck always went straight through. Sloppiest deer kill was early on, I shot one in the face from less than 20 yards, looked like a mob hit job.
    You don't want to rupture their guts with a shotgun, I never did but saw the results of someone who did and I didn't need to learn that lesson first hand.

Some time around 2008 the deer population increased and they rapidly ate away the undergrowth in less than 2 years so I switched to a rifle. I could have kept going with the shotgun but I didn't. I say get a rifled barrel as a backup plan.

Number 1 buy a little of various types of eaaybto find ammo.
    Number 2 pattern your gun.
    Number 3 pattern your gun some more.
    Number 4, Make a list, what shells to buy and what to avoid.
    Number 5, don't buy super fancy and super expensive shotgun ammo. Keep it simple. If it's too expensive to pattern a few boxes or to let a few boxes rip at the range then you don't need it.
    Number 6 don't buy ammo that hurts you. Once you have inducing a flinch is very difficult to undo.

You are going to need to test the barrel inserts extensively. I have messed with them a little and got pretty inconsistent results with them and gave up.

Gator 45/70, STANGF150 and chelloveck like this.
  5. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

You are over complicating things. Reliable insert tubes are expensive, and it would have to be set up sighted in and left that way to be somewhat useful. You would be better off buying a decent single shot finding a 1 oz load that it likes buying a bunch of that. Finding an ounce and a quarter load at likes buying some of that, finding a slug load it likes and a buckshot load likes. I would stock up on those loads at likes at 65% light load 25% heavy shot load 5% slugs and 5% buckshot. Then go by a half dozen to a dozen 110 conibears and a decent pellet rifle

6. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

This a set up for the range is between 50 yards & 75.yards make so the barrel inserts are marked so putting them back into the shot gun barrel I know where to turn them and push them to seat them .those four calibers will take any game in the area where I live plus with survival reloading kit I can take rabbit to deer to turkey to diff game birds that are in my area
    So it not over thinking it just make sense to use a basic system

7. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

In theory your ideas are sound . In real world application not so much . I have fed myself and my family with a single shot shotgun on a couple of occasions . I have messed with inserts some. I am at work so I don't have time to type all the details . I will try to explain later today

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

Traps hunt 24-7 airguns don't tell everyone in the area you probably have food

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I definitely killed more squirrels with an air rifle than I did with a shotgun.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

Okay one of the strong points of a single shot is that you can quickly and quietly switch shells in it.. trying to use all the inserts eliminates this strong point . Unless you spend big money or get lucky the chance of an insert even if you mark it being taken out and reinstalled shooting to the exact point of aim again is slim. Same with mounting different optics on it when reality you can get 60 to 70 yd minute of deer accuracy with slugs and a bead site. I am 59 years old I've hunted the vast majority of my life with a single shot. I handload a 7/8 Oz load for my primary hunting load I usually have another one between my fingers of my right hand. I'm left-handed, I wear one of the Shell Holders that's designed to go on a buttstock on my left arm it has two slugs two buckshot and a high brass ounce and a quarter heavy load in case I see a turkey I can break this gun open pull out the first shell load or slug or buckshot as needed very quietly very quickly and take any game that you're talking about. Without all the extra complicated stuff that you're talking about adding to a gun. As I said earlier in theory you're ideals or sound but in real life usually end up having exactly what you don't need when the wrong game shows up. I am also not a fan of screwing jokes on a survival gun I have seen them fail. You can do anything you're wanting to do with a shotgun and multiple loads for a whole lot cheaper. Also as I said in my earlier post, and air rifle doesn't announce to the to the area you probably have something to eat and body grip traps never sleep

hank2222 likes this.
  11. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

I went to guy here in Wisconsin that does canvas duck bind covers and ask him to make a daypack with kydex inserts to hold the two barrel inserts and he did make the daypack and the guy in Madison made the kydex inserts barrels holders and they fit perfectly inside the long narrow daypack

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The ultimate small game getter survival shot gun is the 28ga. It's the only kind of ammo at all I still see regularly.
    I bet a lot of panic buyers bought 28ga ammo and don't have a 28ga. So in a year or 2 you might be able to buy some cheap 28ga from a friend of a friend who has it and doesn't know what to do with it.
    I got my 28ga when I was about 15 or 16 years old. They wouldn't sell me a gun but I could buy the barrel for the 12ga single shot I had already acquired.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7