Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Jul 11, 2024 at 20:09.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

What is/are your favorites?

I have Maui Jim and Oakleys. And as of maybe ten years ago, stopped buying Oakleys. I love my Maui Jims!

Initial impressions: Oakley's are expensive, but they look and feel cheap. One of my Oakleys came with some of the rubber coming off. The manufacturers rep was in the store and gave me his card and said to call him and he would take care of it. Maui Jims are expensive, but they look and feel well made.

Manufacturer service: Oakley's rep, who I met in person, did not honor his promise to me to take care of my purchase and either fix or replace the pair I got. It was the last one of that model in the store. I called him for months. Nothing. Ran into him in the store several times after that. "I'll take care of you." NOTHING. With Maui Jim, I have only met a store salesperson and spoke to service online with questions. They all were responsive and helpful.

Lens: Oakley lenses are Plutonite, their proprietary polycarbonate. Maui Jim lenses are thin glass. Oakleys look less clear than Maui Jim lenses. Oakley lenses scratch. I have yet to have Maui Jim lenses scratch.

Design: Oakleys designed in California. Maui Jims Designed in Hawaii.

Where are they made: Oakley lists (since 2007) China, Italy and other. I suspect mostly in China for pricing. And it seems to match the quality of the ones I got. Maui Jim made in Italy and Japan.

Pricing: Both are expensive and fairly comparable in price.

Warranty: Oakley is one year. Maui Jim is two years.

Subjective (my experience): Since my contact with the manufacturer's rep and his service, as well as the quality of their product, I vowed to never buy Oakleys again. The Maui Jim sunglasses look and feel higher quality, while the Oakleys feel cheap. The Maui Jim lenses are so clear and bright while blocking glare. Oakley lenses are also clear, but seem more cloudy in comparison and darker, even the red lens.

I vote Maui Jim. I have a couple of pairs that replaced my Oakleys. The Oakleys went in the trash.

Let me know your favorite(s) and why.

Dunerunner, duane and CraftyMofo like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I've tried them all, still not happy. Costa has given me the most service life in the past. I sweat a lot and none seem to hold up to it, especially the rubber.
    Ray-Ban, expensive jokes and will not honor warranty. Had a pair of aviators that one of the lenses cracked two weeks after I bought them, while in the case at home. Fine one day, cracked the next. The first rep told me it happens sometimes when the lens is under pressure in the frame. Next rep said my fault, my problem. Until that day I bought them exclusively, but never again(2002).
    I was given a pair of Oakley in Camp Lejeune in 1994. I gave them away in 1994. Plastic crap and didn't seem optically correct, like wearing someones prescription glasses.
    Maui Jims are OK, I have a pair of Mavericks but they are way too spendy for me, so they get babied and only worn while driving the car, which they stay in.
    Costa Del Mar have become my flavor of choice. I have two pairs and have beat the shit out of my Helos. They are still great after being dropped, sat on, soaked with sweat daily, bent, and cleaned with everything from microfiber to shirt tails and spit. I also have the Santiagos which are more my "Sunday go to Meeting" glasses.
    I spend way too much on eyewear for someone who does not need prescription glasses.
    Oh wait, forgot about my DeWalt ones from Lowes! $14, use them while grinding and plasma cutting and when outdoor fabricating. When they get scratched or broken, I pick up another pair for basically the price of the tax on my other shades.

duane, Hanzo and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Ray-Bans when I am maintaining my generally cool persona and WileyX when it matters.

gii shi kan dug and Hanzo like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Zeiss lenses in Italy frames ,low cut readers on the bottom built in on the Air pair for the road pair just normal bifocal cut for reading while stopped . Air your busy changing radio #s and stuff. Cockpit dash is digital but I make the LCD screen look analog / old school. Much quicker to scan .
    Sloth

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

When I was younger and stupider, I was riding on a trial on the side of the mountain next to the ocean. We were racing the tide to get out. Even though the trail was about 20' above sea level, we were expecting 30' waves. As we raced out, parts of the trail were already wet and the salt plume overhead was massive.

We made it safely out in time and were totally crusted with salt. I made the stupid mistake to wipe off my wayfarers. Scratched the lens up so badly I had to chuck them. So I learned, wash don't wipe when salty.

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Maui's here, I own three pair. Generally I'm wearing the Sport with the greenish grey lens...

CraftyMofo and Hanzo like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Maui Jims. Expensive but look and feel good and have great optical quality. I grew up poor so I realize the economy of buying something well made and taking care of it as opposed to buying cheap several times over. My Maui's are always stored in the soft bag and hard case they come with when not in use. They still look like new many years later.

CraftyMofo and Hanzo like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Milwaukee, yes the tool manufacturer

Hanzo likes this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I stopped buying high end glasses nearly 30 years ago, even back then, a set of good Oakleys were nearly $250.00 and they scratched super easy, or I would break them, or simply loose them!

I wear ether Wylie-X or Attcl polarized these days, mostly depends on my activities, when working or needing protection, it's the Wylie-X, and all other activities I much prefer the Attcls, they have superior optical clarity and thr coatings are super well done, though you have to be super careful when cleaning them, only use good quality glasses cleaner wipes or towels!

Hanzo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7