Stealth camping - in a culvert

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Mar 1, 2021.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

there is stupid, and then there is industrial strength stupid....

Outside of being washed away, camping in a low spot whee the air will move thru is just adding to the overall "pyramid of stupid".

The guy does a series of videos on squatting ...eerrr, stealth camping.
    Like this

Some are funny, most are, at best, bad advice. Still, might be worth a look if you are worried about squatters on your property/in your AO..

YMMV - thought you-all could use a laugh on a Monday.

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Big Rock Candy Mountain was written about Hobo queers taking advantage of young boys on the road. Hobos are generally not the brightest bulbs on the tree.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I have camped in a variety of places, but being in a steel pipe underground with only 2 exits is not my preferred location.
    Many "best places" and a real decent place was the Maui Hilton beach back when it was not done (late 60s) and therefor a good spot especially if you pick up a side kick of a local dog!.
    The top of a rest stop structure after midnight in a warm season was decent as the mosquitoes were blown away and the vantage point allowed for quick exits.
    A mil hammock 20 feet up between two trees is either a real trap or a super quiet sleeping spot.

Lots of places as longer as it is between S>it hit the fan time.

UncleMorgan and Altoidfishfins like this.
  4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

That dude seriously needs to just say he's sorry so his wife will let him come back home.

5. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I just now read this thread and started to watch the vid out of boredom. There so many "false prophets" of bush and urban craft. This guy is at the top of the list.

6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

C.H.U.D. comes to mind :)

7. madmax

I took my little brothers hidden in the trunk to that movie at a drive in. I believe they we all remember that one. lol.

8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

What's the genius going to do when a skunk or pack of hungry dogs smells his cooking?

SB21, Gator 45/70 and UncleMorgan like this.
  9. madmax

Somethings rotten in Demark.

I have no idea what that means but my Grandma used to say it, She was born there so...

Gator 45/70 and UncleMorgan like this.
  10. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

See my thread on Pontificators......this guy moves near the top of the list.

"Now I just gotta go park my car somewhere".......and comes back to find it stolen, stripped, towed, or burned out after he wakes up to a soggy sleeping bag due to runoff.

11. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Oh, yeah! I can just see 2 feet of slushy melt-water rolling in all of a sudden like an AZ flash flood--and pushing a piece of tree big enough to tangle him up until hr either freezes to death or drowns.

If he was a super hero, he'd be Stupidman's spunky side-kick Brainless Boy.

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hey, The top of the backseat in the 66 mustang could be raised up and allow a 145 pound dude to crawl in, Don't ask how much I weigh now....

HK_User likes this.
  13. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

If you want to stealth camp in a mini van, don't block the windows with curtains. That's like hanging an "Occupied" sign on your vehicle.

Instead, fill the entire back with cardboard cartons, stacked floor to ceiling, wall-to wall.

Build them into a fake stack that's completely hollow, duck-taped together on the inside and braced with taped 1X2's.

Leave a full end flap open at the rear gate.

Open the gate, climb in.through the flap, and close the gate. Vent your domicile with cutouts that are out of the line of sight from the windows, and use an old computer fan to exhaust the moisture from your breath and keep the fresh air flowing..

Insulate the inside with 1" Styrofoam in winter, and you're good to go..

Put in tiny spy-holes so you can make sure the coast is clear before you exit.

Get a 12V cup coil for hot coffee and soup.

You can live like a King in your Cardboard Castle of Love...

14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

First time I saw it was a at the drive in double feature CHUD and Squirm.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It is a quote from Shakespeare, more to do with the play Hamlet than Denmark per se. ;)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There are better survival options for the indigent than subterranean dwelling in the city water drainage system with a multitude of other troglodytes.

Here is a video clip with some tips that are actually useful if stealth camping becomes necessary 'on the road'. Escape and evasion...getting to a bug out location, or even moving away from a disaster as a refugee.

50 Stealth Camping Super Tips - Wild Camping / Stealth Camping

Although not a tutorial directly oriented to stealth camping, there is quite a bit of overlap.

Not all stealth camping is on shanks's pony.....Stealth Camping Tips for #vanlife In The City

What Is Stealth Camping?

Some redundancy with other web pages and video clips, but also some info not covered by other sites cited in this post.

32 Clever Stealth Camping Tips You Should Know (Before Leaving) – GoDownsize.com

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7