Sleeping in a Non Permissive Environment

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by chelloveck, Jul 10, 2024 at 7:12.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Sleeping in a non permissive environment.

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Thanks for the video, I learned some good stuff.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

During my years of Civil War re-enacting, I have 'slept' in some very unforgiving environments/weather bitter COLD, HOT and HUMID, MUD, RAIN, SNOW, INSECTS, and sometimes there was a combination of two or more! A hard lumpy bed and a blanket wet with morning dew was normal, and only mentioned by those 'who had yet to see the elephant'. I always found that firewood and straw/hay (wet or dry) can make a BIG difference!

chelloveck likes this.
  4. chelloveck

Insulation / cushioning between ground and body / sleeping bag, diminishes loss of core body heat via conduction, and improves the quality of sleep.

In the Ukraine area of operations, soldiers are often seen wearing butt (sitting) pads to provide thermal insulation between the ground and their skinny butts.

upload_2024-7-11_10-46-2.

Keeping warm and dry is essential to beneficial sleep.

upload_2024-7-11_10-49-2.

5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Marines were making their own accordion iso mats before they were issued that way. They were issued rolled up, and were terrible bulky things. A little work with a razor and some 5-50 cord and you have an accordion.

He didn't mention much in site selection about wheeled or tracked vehicle movement. That's always a priority in site selection for me. I try to sleep under large trees or in spaces that would keep me from getting run over by a truck or ground up by a tank.

Different environments dictate different gear.
    My coastal area has lots of new construction and lots of old cluttered properties. One of my favorite pieces of gear is a ratty old mylar space blanket with weights taped to the corners. It's gotten quieter as it got more wrinkles, but it still makes me look like a trash bag or some construction debris when I'm under it. Best part is that I can see out, but from outside it looks like tin foil. Pancho liner, sleeping pad and mylar space blanket are all I need outdoors for most of the year here.

Tempstar, duane and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

That is where the firewood and straw/hay comes in, keeps me off the ground and dry. Hell, it might even help keep the firewood dry too! You can survive cold, but wet and cold will kill you!

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7