Skagway be rockin!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, May 1, 2017.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Multiple earthquakes, 6.3 and a lot of aftershocks.

Hope Bruce is still dry.....

A series of strong earthquakes centered just across the Canadian border from Southeast Alaska early Monday woke residents from Haines to Petersburg and also gave solid shakes to Whitehorse, Yukon.

Dozens of aftershocks were recorded in the following hours, including one with a preliminary magnitude of 6.4, 52 miles west-northwest of Skagway, at 6:18 a.m., almost two hours after the initial quake.

[​IMG]
    The first quake, with a preliminary magnitude of 6.2, struck about 60 miles northwest of Haines at 4:31 a.m. and was felt across hundreds of miles of Southeast Alaska and northwest Canada.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

hehehe. BT is ok, got bumped out of the rack with the first one. If he checks in, I betcha he'll elaborate ---

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Wow!! That is close...... :eek:

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yep, it was quite a ride, this morning.... The first one was at 4:28Am local, and woke me up... I just laid there wondering what just happened... Then an aftershock, or more like two or three, and I decided I better get up, start the Genset, and get things lit up... Once that was done, I fired up the computer, and checked the Tsunami Site and sure enough 6.3... By 5Am, I had things understood.... then after 6Am I was sitting in my Office, reading the Monkey, when another 6.4 hit... Watched it roll by in waves, for about 25 Seconds... Then over the next 10 minutes, three more aftershocks... All over it seems, by 8Am...

sec_monkey, VisuTrac and Sgt Nambu like this.
  5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Glad you came out ok! Any casualties or heavy destruction up there? Sure hope not!
    I had friends and family in the big quake of March 1964! A couple of them were seriously injured!

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nothing bad happened around here, local...

Sgt Nambu, sec_monkey and VisuTrac like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I found this on ATS and it makes sense. I knew about the river disappearing and these quakes today make things quite interesting.
    This video could be BS but it makes sense IMO.

arleigh likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When we had a 6.2 in Big Bear Lake California the after shocks went for weeks, so don't be surprised .
    No matter what caused the quake , there is bound to be reverberation .

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Motomom34 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7