Should have more berries soon

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Hanzo, Jun 6, 2024.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

When our first batch came, I watched my wife stand there and graze. She loves to do that. And then there were none. :whistle:

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I prolly shouldn't share this, BUT:
    Between my three dogs and the bears and other critters, my 4 acres+ of prime berries have gotten hammered!
    My Two Newfies and the Malinator are near constantly hogging out on my Raspberries, Black Berries, and even the Blue Berries, enough that they all come back up the the house covered in berry juice and always need ether a good bath or a swim in the creek! Then there are the Bears, they flat out OWN my lower fields with all the best Black Berries and Salmon berries, and will camp out for a month or more whilst pigging out every day, Thankfully, the Wife and I got smart ( It took a while, Don't Laugh) and we fenced off a good sized chunk for ourselves, otherwise there would be NONE for us! This years Raspberries are EPIC, with a small number of bushes, we already have WAY more then we have ever had, enough to keep the wife happily in the shed canning preserves to last us YEARS! THen there are all the apples, pears, plumbs and grapes, don't get me started on that hot mess, it's a fight to the death every year, and one I only just barely win against the bears, those buggers really get after it, especially with a couple Sows and there Cubs, We get cleaned out real good!

sec_monkey, Dunerunner and Hanzo like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

What kind of berries are those or do they get eaten so fast you can't find out?

Ura-Ki, Dunerunner and Hanzo like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Our first blueberry bush. Wife does the same with the Costers Curse berries and strawberry guavas.

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Wild huckleberries here, but the birds and critters get them before I can collect much more than a handful...

Ura-Ki, Alanaana and Hanzo like this.
  7. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

My berries don't stand a chance here with all of the birds. So much entitlement around here :LOL:.

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Out this way if it isn't lawn, pasture, or field it's covered by wild Himalayan blackberries. When I was a kid we used sheets of plywood and ladders to harvest the ones that bordered my dad's property. Yep they will grow quite high if you let them. Vicious thorns that will wrap the canes around you if you aren't careful, but they have amazing flavor.

Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
  9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Toss a net over the berry bushes and the birds will stay away. NOTE--They can see the netting and will not become trapped in it.

Hanzo, Dunerunner and Alanaana like this.
  10. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Thank you! I'm going to try this today. Time to track down a net!

Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

They sell them in garden centers. However I had trouble finding them this year, so I used a net that was sold as a trellis for plants and it seems to be working.

Hanzo and Alanaana like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I don't stand a chance with my wife eating them. :rolleyes:

Alanaana likes this.
  13. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It's good that you have the picture evidence!

Hanzo likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7