Shame on me - Let my guard down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Sep 22, 2005.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I got home tonight around 8pm , made a sandwich, heated up a cup of left over coffee and headed for the computer. Sitting on the couch in my office was a large department store bag - not mine. The pillows were scattered about. I was broken into today. I had the pups with me all day - I know better than that. Last weekend, one of the pulley ropes in an office window broke and I haven't had time to replace it yet so I had a little block of 3 x 3 proping up the window about 3" just to get some air and I forgot to remove it and lock the window before I left this morning. It was probably either kids or a druggie because the only thing I can find missing is some coins I had in a Warterford Crystal bowl on a shelf. I have a lot of silver, ivory, oriental art, expensive crystal, a full length mink, lots of computers about, sound system, a couple TV's - you know the kind of stuff. It's all here. Either all they wanted was cash or they will be back for the rest. Only money missing but they went through the drawers. I had 2 shotguns in the corner but they're still here. I checked all 3 floors of the house (with the loaded over and under) and every thing else seems intact. It happened to me once before in another house but that time I lost all the good stuff. Since then, my house is never unlocked, even when I'm here but I goofed today with that one window. I'll make a police report in the morning but tonight, my act of anger was to hang a sign in the window they came through that says "BREAK IN AGAIN AND DIE SCUM" It won't mean anything to them but I felt better. [gun]

2. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Damn RH I'm sorry to hear that...it's always the little things that get us.

On the other hand, I sure wouldn't want to be them if they come back and you're home.

3. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That sucks, sorry to hear that RH:(

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

So sorry to hear that RH... I hate thieves :(

5. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

What T said RH....Man....that is just the pits...I'm so sorry that happened...

It happened to me once..and I was home...asleep , upstairs..

It won't happen again...without someone getting hurt..and it isn't going to be me......

Anything we can do?

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Jesus....... Right Hand be carefull. :shock:
    I'm glad thats all that happened. I hope they dont come back,
    Hang a sign the reads:
    Anyone Found Here At Night
    Will Be Found Here In The Morning!

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good one Quig. Will be found here tomorrow bleeding.

Thanks CRC. I may be here a little longer tonight than usual. Funny, but I'm not feeling too sleepy.

8. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Don't blame you RH, don't blame you one bit.

9. RightHand

And some people say "Oh, I'd never have a gun in my house" And I would never not have one in the house.

10. melbo

Maybe a SM Security Force is in our future. Deployable to CONUS to help out our members...

11. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That sucks, sorry to hear it. I had my first place in a real bad neighborhood (projects were about 2 blocks one way and another set 3 or 4 blocks the other way) and my place was hit a dozen or so times. One thing you can do for the windows is I think you can buy keyed locks that keep them where ever you put them but other than that get the bolt type lock that has a rod that slides to the side then turns down to secure in place and attach it to the top of the window then drill holes in the sill where it slides so you can open it that 3 inches then lock it in place so it cant be opened the rest of the way. I mean theres nothing legal you can do to stop anyone whos determined but thats one thing to make it so they at least have to actualy break in and not be able to walk in. Personaly I still like the sill guns I have seen that attach to the sill and are triggered by anyone trying to come in the window solveing the problem but they now figure its wrong to hurt the poor thieves.
    One thing I did do that seemed to work for a while and you might be able to do. It wont stop anyone who actualy knows much but the average thief will think twice. I took a few road flares (the plain red ones with no spike on then that are shorter) and used electric tape to tape them together and to tape some collored wires to them and to a dead battery then put some wires across the class going one way and inside from there verticly and a wire on the top of the bottom window and another sticking out above it. All of this was CLEARLY visible from the outside and to the average idiot looked like the window was rigged with explosives to blow if tampered with. If you can make it look convinceing it will make thievs tend to look elsewhere.
    Another thing I saw at a gun show that would be awsome if it could be used but even empty or disabled may make a good deterant was a machine gun with a motion sensor and motors on it that when it detected motion (could be set for narrow area to cover on up to 360) it would aim at the motion and if it moved again it would fire, well the one I saw just had a flashing light in it but if you could set one up with blanks would be cool, and it had a remote like for a car alarm to shut it off.

12. RightHand

I can just imagine how the yuppies down the road would reach to a show of armed force. I like the idea. It would certainly add to my reputation as weird

13. Galactus

Galactus Monkey+++ Founding Member

melbo_937. team_america_177.

14. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

LOOKOUT, HE HAS A SCREW IN HIS BELT!!!!

Actually, that does look like Melbo............ [camo]

15. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

16. CRC

RH? Just checking in today to see how you are...and if you made it home yet...

If they saw all that stuff..they will most likely try to get in again...I was so angry and felt so violated...They got my TV and stereo equipment and my Baretta out of the kitchen .....

It never happened again..and I too, had left a window open...What galls me is I was home! Upstairs...asleep and so was my 3 yr old son!

The police told me they couldn't help unless maybe the gun showed up down the road ; used in a crime..It never did...Oh well......

Hope you are ok today....? Let us know....say the word and we're on our way....

Roadtrip
    Y'all!!! b:: b::

17. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That's too bad, I've had it happen and the cops told me these guys normally are gone in about 30 seconds and that's why they leave alot of stuff. With me they got a camera and a shotgun - what was right out where they could grab it.

18. melbo

What I don't understand is the lack of Fingerprinting that is done on these scenes. Hell, the guberment has 17 sets of mine... I'm sure they have a set on a common thief.

Or maybe it was the first time they broke into a house.... :rolleyes:

19. CRC

I don't care who you are...that's funny!

:rolleyes: ;) :lol: :lol:

20. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

When I had a gun stolen, and the time I was robbed, I found much to my suprise that the cops were not in the least bit interested in finding who did it. No investigation of ANY kind much less fingerprints. When the gun was stolen they didn't bother to send an officer - took the report over the phone. That kind of concern is sure touching.

1. oldman11
  2. Motomom34
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Lone Gunman
  5. ED GEiN
  6. Yard Dart
  7. DKR
  8. Brokor
  9. Idahoser
  10. DarkLight
  11. Motomom34
  12. melbo