Reworked calibers

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hank2222, Mar 17, 2021.

1. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

ok here something I deep thoughts about when I was in the hospital staring out the window and started rethinking my basic all around calibers to stock

Hunting
    12.ga ammo in diff types of hunting for my area
    45.lc-250 grain hunting hollow point for hunting
    410-ga 2.3/4”inch slugs for back up in the governor pistol
    44mag hunting ammo
    22.l/r hunting ammo
    This ammo is for hunting area because of super shorts ranges that you will encounter a deer sized animals.

Self defense ammo
    9mm self defense ammo
    410.ga buck and ball loads
    This load will also work in the governors 45.l/c-410-ga-45.acp pistol
    223.self defense

I stuck with one brand of ammo that will work well in the pistol and rifle because of not trying to get stuck in a diff bunch of different brands .so it one brand and stay with it .now the reloading part for the plan I do have few diff bullet weights for hunting but the store bought stuff is basically the same weight and cal that I know do the job
    The area of Wisconsin I live in is hilly and heavy forest type lands with long patch’s of Amish farm land so long shots are in the area is not a thing like out west where the avg range was 300.plus yards on some of the animals

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You will need to duplicate the loads with the casted stuff,Unless you listen to the rifle.
    It will show you on paper what it likes.

Tully Mars and HK_User like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

This was one of the main reasons I went back to the basics with black powder, I am not limited to store bought or generic off the shelf performances!

Same thing with reloading metallic cartridges for specific weapons based on need and performance! You could go through all the needs for your requirements and ether narrow it down to one caliber/chambering or never reach niverna and be stuck with a bunch of different ones!
    This is where things can get tricky, and one reason why the old .30/30 is so popular, it truly is a one and done kind of deal! Same with pistol, that was settled long ago with .44 S&W and .45 Colt! Those also proved that a one caliber battery of rifle and pistol was possible and could meet most requirements easy enough!

Then there are the idiots like me that just cannot shoot anything less then .30/06 loaded hot with it's minimum 180 gr bullet, and for pistol, I can't abide anything less then .44 Rem Mag!
    So, what to do???

What your really looking for is: Matched performance to known loadings, OR, you are savy enough to know which ONE you really need/use the most and work that one over.
    Don't spend too much time with the others, other then trying to build up your bulk for other needs, instead, take your ONE chambering and perfect your loads for it and your needs! Take my .30/06 as an example, I can down load it to near powder puff loads for varmints and small game harvesting and on the other end, load it to the max for Big Bears and anything else i'm likely to run across, including charging Ford F-250's! Point is, it's all the rifle I ever need in ONE package!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Mountainman, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7