Pontificators

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TnAndy, Mar 2, 2021.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

To Pontificate: To speak about some issue in a particularly pompous, pretentious, or imperious manner.

I watch YouTube A bit, and it seems to me (at least what I see) that there is a quite a rise in 'pontificators' over the last year or two. Couple of them post a video nearly every single day on some area of prepping or survival or something related. One of them, 90% of his video are just him sitting at some location in his house telling the faithful followers (he has near 10,000 subscribers) all the correct ways to do this or that....and almost NEVER ever showing him up off his backside doing anything. What little he does show is a small garden area that doesn't look like it would feed him/wife more that a few weeks. I emailed him about raising livestock..."Oh, I can't raise anything due to restrictions"......what kind of prepper buys a place with restrictions like that ?????

Another one doesn't even bother showing his face, much less anything else. Back screen with this guy talking for 20-30 min on the subject of the day.....and most of his advice is hogwash, and anyone that has done much of anything can see it. Yet these guys have thousands of subscribers, apparently less clueless than themselves.

And then, of course, there are the multitude of guys that want to show "the best way" to do whatever it is......never mind they don't have enough experience to amount to anything, and have never tried any OTHER way to do it.....ahahhaaaaaa......

Yep.....You Tube sure is interesting.......ahahhahaaaaaaa

Tully Mars, Alf60, damoc and 5 others like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

"Hisw is cosmography, like all of them, began with the creation and came down to the pontificate of Martin V who was then Pope."

Don't care for the Pope guy either....

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I learned long ago, never put out video of me doing anything! The folks that know me, know that I can do stuff, and that's all I ever care about! Don't need to stoke my ego, or get my ricks off with all the internet attention! Nope, not me, in the time it would take me to explain or show some one on video, I could be showing one of the young ones here, and that is the real future before me, what I can share and pass on to them!

mysterymet, Alf60, madmax and 2 others like this.
  4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Years ago, I bought a video of couple guys doing a cut up of a beef or pig or something...don't remember, it was that bad. One of them would scratch his azz during it, the other would point it out, the scratcher would say "ah, we can edit it out".....which of course they didn't......ahahhaaaaaa

SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

They're all doing it to make money, and indeed some of them make stupid amounts of it both through YT monetization and the delightful tendency voyeurs have towards financing their lifestyles through Patreon. The Mr asked me once, why don't you set up a channel? Hah no thank you, sez I. Because it would bite me in the ass.

Given my own past experience running sites that attract voyeurs, I already know this attracts the sadists as well as the philanthropists. Time and again I see these people post video of an unwelcome visit from LEO, CPS, or even SWAT because some nasty POS tracked them down and turned them in for some imagined violation. "Officer, who turned me in?" "Some guy from California, saw your video."

They don't even make it difficult. Never mind them keeping the camera trained close range on their faces, more often than not they happily offer up not only their full names but the names of their towns and states, where they work, even showing lovely drone footage of their entire properties. Most common to the "homesteader" variety but have also seen "preppers" practically throw out bread crumb trails for the nutters to home in on.

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Maybe you should start your own youtubber channel.... could be famous. [flag]

Tully Mars, ditch witch and SB21 like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

And that there is the Gods / Soul truth Sir !
    Sloth 4-H Leader on Small engines and that funny Aztec symbol

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

They are too ''White''

9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Early on, the survival monkey had some great instructional videos on meat cutting, butchering, and other interesting useful subjects. Several of them were made by a guy I hired to work salvage, Monkeyman was his screen name here, if I remember right. What ever happened to him? I think he eventually became a cop of some kind? I do remember taking him to a few of our USPSA matches. We let him shoot them with a laser sighted weapon, a no-no in USPSA so his matches didn't count but he had a lot of fun.
    Here's a thread link from 2015 where there are links to Monkeyman's videos on page one: Answers to SM Anniversary Trivia

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Yard Dart, Mountainman and damoc like this.
  10. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

LOL. Yup.
    1. We're far from rich but live with our means so money doesn't motivate to get famous.
    2. I spent years culling "friends" down to friends. Don't need a fan club.
    3. There's so little original content anymore I really don't feel the need to pontificate on anything.
    4. I like hanging with my camping "club" brothers and sisters. New faces are great. We've heard each other's stories ad nauseum. But it will soon be obvious if the FNG's fit in.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Off topic, but he wandered thru the trees last September. No idea what he's doing these days, but he got divorced along the way.
    His vids are still available as far as I know. As good as it gets for backyard butchering.

Yep we have some folks that know best and are unafraid to get behind the lectern and carry on.

SB21, damoc, Altoidfishfins and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7