Pipe Smoking Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brokor, Sep 19, 2024.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I don't know how many of our members smoke pipes, but this will be the place I will be posting updates on the subject.

DSC01145.JPG
    C&D Anthology is a definite must have. Seen here is also a Missouri Meerschaum pipe, an all time favorite and not hard on the wallet at all (around $15 for the pipe).
    DSC01165.JPG
    This is a disassembled Falcon pipe I really enjoy. In the picture it needs cleaning, but it is a clay lined bowl with briar wood and it can easily screw on/off and replaced with any Falcon bowl. The pipe design permits the use of replaceable moisture trap rings made of an absorbent material. I can get two or three uses out of a ring usually, but if I smoke it once and let it sit I always change it before use again.
    DSC01191.JPG
    This is a coveted "Hogshead" plug and the pipe is a Rupp Stout, which is what I'm currently smoking today.

Sometimes, I make my own blends, especially in the winter. It's far more conomical than cigar smoking, and can actually be very relaxing. Plus, it's far more kind to indoors as the smoke isn't as harsh and repugnant.
    DSC00253.JPG
    This is an experiment where I tied up a rope of Virginias and soaked it in whiskey, then aged it for a few months before slicing it up. It was good.

DSC01056.JPG DSC01050.JPG DSC00881.JPG DSC00783.JPG DSC00780.JPG
    Making my own is sometimes fun. I will use a bee pollen mold and press the tobacco with a vise and age it in charred bourbon barrels. The result is...pretty amazing.
    DSC00870.JPG In this barrel, I lined it with Spanish cedar for long term aging and some spiced rum in the center.

You can store your tobacco inside jars or keep them in the original unopened tins pretty much indefinitely. I've found this to be a very economical way to have tobacco on hand. I especially like going back years later and rediscovering a blend I've had in the cellar that I'd forgotten about.

DSC01192.JPG
    Here are some of the jars and a few tins I lined up quickly to give you an idea.

I usually purchase tinned tobacco from Smokingpipes.com and it's also a great place to find quality pipes on sale, too. Compared to cigar smoking, which is still very much a part of my life, it's far more economical and better for long term use. I suppose that's the best part of being a prepper.

2. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

My father used Amphora for many years.

[​IMG]

Brokor and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

HA, YUGE fan of Eric Nording Hand made pipes, including one of the very last ones he ever made before his passing. Also a YUGE fan of the higher end Peterson standards, for a "Working Mans Pipe" they are second to none! As to pipe tobacco, I prefer Scandinavian blends, Black Truffle being my absolute fav, I usually order it in 2 pound casks, then break it down for my humidor and smoke as I go. I HATE wet smoke and have found many english islands tobacco to be of the "Wet Type" and I actively avoid them. Turkish tobacco's tend to be a little on the dry side, usually needing a few days in the humidor before enjoying a bowl or two.
    [​IMG]

Brokor likes this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Fav. smoking pipe for just sittin on the deck or next to the fire and enjoying a nice evening!
    my Nording free hand, the last one he ever made!
    [​IMG]

Brokor likes this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Italian Savini Semi Churchwarden, perfect for hands free smoking! [​IMG]

If you have never tried a Churchwarden type of pipe, you really should, you have no idea what your missing! Especially nice for non flavored English/Irish tobacco blends!

Brokor and Zimmy like this.
  6. Brokor

That's beautiful! I love my Nording.

DSC01194.JPG

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Historically, the pipe was the original method of delivery for those using tobacco and was perhaps the best method. Pipe smokers tended to smoke less because tobacco was expensive at the time and usually enjoyed only a few bowls a day. Chewing, cigars and cigarettes, allow the user to consume tobacco throughout the day, which results in adverse effects upon the health of the user. You don't see any chain-smoking pipe smokers because smoking a pipe is a time-consuming process.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Brokor

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7