Pigs caught in the act

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Alanaana, Jul 15, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

See what I've been dealing with? I have lots of opportunities to practice my snaring techniques.

Sorry the recording is so shaky, I was walking down a hill.

Attached Files:

Hanzo, Kamp Krap, Meat and 1 other person like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Check you out girlfriend, Pee-lay that with a 22 in the ear.

Hanzo, Alanaana, Meat and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

First, I would have never thought that Hawaii still had wild pigs! So, I found that extremely interesting. Thank you. Yeah, can't you just shoot them and make pork chops and bacon out of them if they are on your property and helping themselves to your garden?

4. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Yes, I think you're right. They are getting a little too smart for snares. I see them analyzing it then going around. I'm thinking of adding more loops to the design, but a 22 can't hurt either. I have a very good hair trigger and it gets set off, but they are getting away from this particular one.

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and Kamp Krap like this.
  5. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Yes, they are definitely very present on the island. I used to only see them at night, but now they stomp around like they own the place. I have been finding a lot of old 30-06 shells on this property so I think the original owner did some hunting, but I think that's overkill for pigs, but I can't think of anything else that would require those. I have trapped, shot, and enjoyed lots of pig meat to share with the neighborhood. Thankfully, the neighbors here are cool and people pop enough fireworks so they don't suspect it's anything else. I have just been trying to get better at snaring and trapping because I think it is a useful, practical skill.

DKR, Hanzo, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

See them almost every day.

Bandit99 and Alanaana like this.
  7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I've never heard of snaring pigs. Of course it should work, but don't know anyone who does it in Texas.

I have heard of putting gum drops on treble hooks and hanging them from a tree limb. The pig, once hooked in lip or snout, wouldn't pull hard against the hook and still be there waiting on an arrow or bullet.

Those guys were shamelessly flaunting the rule of law and I could never condone that.

Gator 45/70 and Alanaana like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My friend on Oahu traps them. But he builds an elaborate trap. Then he shoots them in the trap. Papaya seems like great pig bait.

Alanaana and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Zimmy

We trap around here. Strawberry jello powder stirred into wet corn works well.

10. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

My best raccoon bait is pizza. Might work?

Alanaana and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Sour corn mash buried in the ground, Place will look like the roto-rutter testing grounds

Zimmy, Alanaana and SB21 like this.
  12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Zimmy, you got a photo of one of those traps you use? I'm just curious as this must be large and use heavy rebar so makes they difficult to move around but, in truth, I've no idea as never been around pigs wild or domestic. Anyway, if you got a photo it would be interesting...

Alanaana likes this.
  13. Zimmy

I'll get one for you.

SB21 likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Media

Got pigs?

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Pig_family

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Media

Pigs

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    But first coffee.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    This is Lavinia!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. plumberroy
  17. Benjamin A. Wood
  18. Benjamin A. Wood
  19. chelloveck
    Rabbits beware! [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Jul 1, 2018, 5 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  20. Zimmy
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7