Permaculture Chicken Pen and Compost Area

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by chelloveck, Aug 19, 2023.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

This is one concept of a permaculture chicken coop / compost tractor, which demonstrates how it is integrated with the garden's other permaculture elements.

And some other chicken composting systems

Alanaana and Kamp Krap like this.
  2. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Love my Chicken Poop! The berries and acid loving plants love it even more. Lots of people build or buy a chicken tractor, lots of people get bored with having to move it every day or every other day thus lots of people have lots of chicken tractors sitting and rotting...... Including myself :) Much easier to mow it with a bagger and just dump the bags in the chicken yard.

I know a thing or three about composting manure and the different properties of different critters poop. It ain't the rocket science the youtubers make it out to be :) Make a pile turn it once per week, kill weed seeds and bad bacteria, add to garden or field. Test for NPK and PH if you want to. Remembering to turn it weekly to keep it hot is about the most complex thing about composting. If you buy your hay/feed in might want to test for Grazon so you don't poison your garden and make it a vegetable dead zone for 7-10 years.
    12510336_1012352988803170_8064248903373816053_n.

Alanaana, SB21 and chelloveck like this.
  3. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Thank you for sharing these resources. I really love tractor coops.

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7