Perfect time of year, for "seconds"

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by natshare, Jun 27, 2023.

1. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Stopped by my local Lowe's this afternoon, after work, to pick up a few things. Wanted to check out my favorite part of their gardening section!

The "clearance" plants! (y)

What are clearance plants? Deeply discounted plants, that for whatever reason (usually bad watering!) have shown signs of distress, and are not pretty enough to sell at full price!

How good a deal are we talking? How about an 8 pack of French Marigolds, that had a few blooms that died. Normally $4.48......now $1.80! Geez, I bought two of them, and I'm thinking of going back, later this week, to pick up whatever other ones they have, at this price!

The beauty of marigolds, is that the blooms hold SEEDS. Cut them off (deadheading, we call it), and dry them. Pull them apart, and you've got ~50 seeds, to start next year's crop! When you cut off the dead blooms, it signals the plant to grow MORE BLOOMS. And since marigolds are AWESOME to gro alongside your veggies, for pest control and pollenator attractors, it's a win-win for you and your veggies!

Sorry, no pics (I left them outside, so they'll be ready to transplant). :cool:

Zimmy, Bandit99, Brokor and 7 others like this.
  2. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Can find some real bargains this time of year, just have to rummage through the ones to far gone. I foolishly skipped marigolds this year and the flea beetles are feasting on my eggplants, the squash beetles are all of my summer squash and the horn worms are a daily walk through and pick them off for the chickens. Not my first choice but nuked it all with Sevin to wipe out the squash and flea beetles and dusted the tomato plants with BT powder. Now you have reminded to go marigold shopping on my trip to town tomorrow! TY!!!

3. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I love the clearance section! I've found some really nice plants there and it's fun to nurse them back to life.

4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

The lady I've been doing a major remodel for hits that area regularly,, she calls it " Death Row " .

5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Sorry , I was thinking , A Noorer ,, and better !
    Sloth

natshare and Kamp Krap like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's sloppy seconds around here.
    You can put in a second crop but sprouted seeds could get cooked in the hot dry summer heat.
    Then if it does rain it could easily be a thunderstorm dumping pea sized hail.

natshare, SB21 and Kamp Krap like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The weather is only going to keep getting worse, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The marigolds are a nice touch, I will have to remember that! I'd also highly suggest indoor gardening, aquaponics sort of thing to anybody capable. I started small and got into microgreens with low power LED grow lights. Nutrient dense foods, great survival concept.

[winkthumb]

SB21 and Kamp Krap like this.
  8. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Good way to make some side income if you are so inclined. One of our Market Vendors started dabbling with micro greens about 10 years back and that is all he grows now and sells out every market he goes to. He says he is knocking out $1500 per week in off the books side retirement income. LOL he started out barely being able to give a bag of micro greens away as samples and is making more now from them than he was working a full time job.

Cruisin Sloth, natshare and SB21 like this.
  9. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

FYI, I contacted Harbor Freight, a while back, concerning the wavelength of their often on sale LED strip light. 5000K was the answer, which is always a good choice for plants. (y)
    They've discontinued one of the strip lights, but the other will either go on sale, or have a good coupon price, quite often.
    Pretty sure this is the light fixture I'm referring to. Sign up for HF e-mails, and watch for deals!
    https://www.harborfreight.com/5500-lumen-4-ft-linkable-led-hanging-shop-light-59506.html

Cruisin Sloth and Kamp Krap like this.
  10. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Stopped by Lowe's again today, and scored 3 more 8-packs of marigolds. Normally $4.48, got these marked down to $2.02 each! Comes out to ~$0.25 per marigold plant! I'll spend a couple days watering the heck out of them, then transplant 'em into the containers where I've already got tomatoes, peppers, cukes, etc growing. :cool:
    Seconds 20230702.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  11. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

When I go to Lowes I always look at the fertilizer, lime and mulch for broken bags you can get them for half price---the way prices have increased it helps

natshare and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Thai Chilis
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 4, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    I enjoyed my 1st Thai Chili Pepper harvest.
  4. Alanaana
    Trying to level up our curb appeal...
  5. Alanaana
    Gecko enjoying the fountain
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7