Pear wine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AxesAreBetter, Sep 2, 2019.

1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Howdy y'all.
    I suddenly have a plethora of pears that need to be dealt with, and access to a LOT more next year...
    The conversation came up about converting the surplus into wine, and now questions need to be asked.
    Anybody tried pear wine?
    Any tips of making it?

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I wasn't the maker on this but the pear wine just wasn't right somehow. Seemed a waste of pears. Now pear brandy was an outstanding success and something he continued to make all the years I knew him. My own experience was that grapes of any kind made great wine and large fruits were better suited to hard liquors. But that was just my own experience and I never made it past mediocre vintner or distiller. The only tip I'll give is that wine requires more and closer attention than likker to get it right.

3. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

What about Perry? (Pear based cider)

4. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

^^^^^^^ That sounds interesting.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Gafarmboy like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Would grapes help it?

6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

You OFFICIALLY have my interest!

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and oldawg like this.
  7. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That is the same link I looked at. Looks easy enough.

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Try fermenting Pears in Pure Vodka or Everclear! Make the pears like Apple sauce and fill a large mason jar about 1/2 full of the Pear sauce and top off with the Vodka or Everclear and let it sit a few weeks! Strain off the fruit, but save it for desert toppings, or mix with heavy cream and serve over bread pudding!
    This works with lots of fruits and flowers, and you can also substitute with RUM for an even more exotic liqueur!
    don't be afraid to experiment with spices ether, some of the best are spiced, and with things you would not normally consider in a drink!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. I love pear cider or whatever it is called. I buy it when I can find it since my pear trees haven't started producing yet.

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I prefer pear cider to apple cider, but both are good.

The video clip has some interesting ideas, poor sound quality and folks who are susceptible to motion sickness will probably need anti nausea tablets in the beginning of the clip. Interesting use of a tractor with front loading bucket...I guess a forklift could also be used as an improvised press :eek:

A recipe for small batch pear cider production...start at 0:32 seconds and save some unnecessary verbiage.

longish, but comprehensive description of making pear cider. Clear explanation.

Making pear cider is a good way of using up a glut of fruit. For homesteaders, keep trees of a few varieties so that you have a longer season of cropping.

Pear Varieties List | Guide to Ten Pear Types | USA Pears

Know Your Pears And When They're In Season - Food Republic

https://scottlab.com/content/files/Documents/Handbooks/2018_CiderHandbook.pdf

How to Make Pear Cider (Hard or Sweet)

oldawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7