Olive Oil

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Olive oil has been a staple in my kitchen for years but it has now become more than something I splash in a pan for sautéing veggies. Olive oil has become a staple in our diet. Once the benefits and multiple uses were discovered, it has become a go to item.I used to prep vegetable oil but now I have a small bottle of canola and mainly focus on olive oil. The uses and benefits make it more valuable.

Helping to keep olive oil fresh:
    Olive oil deteriorates and turns rancid more rapidly when exposed to light, heat, and air—so storing it next to the hot stove (and under the bright overhead lighting) is just about the worst place possible. Keep it in a cupboard and buy the olive oil in the dark glass containers. Do not store in the fringe, recommended is 65-75 degrees to get the longest shelf life. Olive oil has a two-year shelf life so when buying looking at the dates on the bottle is very important.

Benefits of olive oil:

1. Is Rich in Healthy Monounsaturated Fats- (rich in vitamins E and K, iron, omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.)
    2. Contains Large Amounts of Antioxidants
    3. Has Strong Anti-Inflammatory Properties
    4. May Help Prevent Strokes
    5. Is Protective Against Heart Disease
    6. Is Not Associated With Weight Gain and Obesity (in small doses)
    7. May Fight Alzheimer's Disease. (An American study, extra virgin olive oil was found to improve learning and memory in mice, supporting the possibility of its replication in humans suffering from Alzheimer’s)
    8. May Reduce Type 2 Diabetes Risk
    9. The Antioxidants in Olive Oil Have Anti-Cancer Properties
    10. Olive Oil Can Help Treat Rheumatoid Arthritis
    11. Olive Oil Has Antibacterial Properties
    (Olive oil contains many nutrients that can inhibit or kill harmful bacteria. One of these is Helicobacter pylori, a bacterium that lives in your stomach and can cause stomach ulcers and stomach cancer. Test-tube studies have shown that extra virgin olive oil fights eight strains of this bacterium, three of which are resistant to antibiotics. A study in humans suggested that 30 grams of extra virgin olive oil, taken daily, can eliminate Helicobacter pylori infection in 10–40% of people in as little as two weeks.)
    11 Proven Benefits of Olive Oil

12. Olive Oil can be used for skin and hair health. I put extra virgin olive oil directly on my face and have never had my skin so soft plus my eczema has disappeared.
    Here is a link to more beauty uses and recipes for olive oil- 22 Best Benefits Of Olive Oil For Skin, Hair, And Health

For the gentlemen:
    Olive oil consumption can also help dissolve kidney stones.

What You Need:
    2 ounces of lemon juice
    2 ounces of olive oil
    Water

Directions:
    Take around 2 quarts of water in a pan and heat it on a medium flame.
    Let it boil. Once it has reached the boiling point, remove from the heat.
    Add around 2 ounces of fresh lemon juice and some extra virgin olive oil.
    Mix properly and store the water in the refrigerator after it has completely cooled down.

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

You missed "it tastes better than canola oil" :)

3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

High flash point, clean burning, no smoke, no soot, self extinguishing if spilled. Sounds like the perfect survival night light.

4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Many (many!) years ago, my wife and I decided to make two major changes in our diets. We started using only olive oil and only real butter for cooking.

It was a difficult choice because they were both more expensive than their counterfeit counterparts, and every penny mattered.

My wife was in school and I was making $1.39 an hour.

It was one of the smartest decisions we ever made. The extra cost was well worth it to avoid most of the Toxic Food Syndromes that plague people today.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Didn’t know all of these. Makes olive oil an even better prep item.

6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

That is if it is really olive oil! Olive oil is the most counterfeited thing on the planet. I've heard it said, "that unless you make it yourself, or see it made, it isn't olive oil"!

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

if its not then what is it.... imma need some proof on this bold statement

if you refrigerate over nite and its solid the next morning its olive oil

8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Flash point at 468 degrees F.

9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Wash fresh Okra from the garden, roll in olive oil, salt and pepper, put on the grill (upper rack or low heat side) until the tips start to turn black. I grow okra just to do this. You can also pull it off in a toaster oven, though not doing it on the grill removes one of the punches in your man-card.

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  10. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I watched her plenty. Great actress.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Try peanut oil for stir fry. Unless you have nut allergy.

12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

There is olive oil and then there is olive oil. The stuff sold in supermarket in America is the cheap stuff, irregardless of what the label says.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

So should I be importing from Sicily to get the real stuff? Where do you buy yours? My olive oil is extra virgin from California and it was $$$$.

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

the test is .... if you put it in the refrigerator overnite and it goes solid then its real

15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

No that isn't even the real stuff! The real stuff is almost never found on supermarket shelves! I don't buy or use it. I had a bottle once, but it just sat there and went rancid. What I do use is butter, bacon grease, and some oil that I got from the supermarket, usually canola. Trying to find extra virgin olive oil is like trying to find a virgin...in a brothel.

16. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

I also use a lot of olive oil in my diet.
    I also use it to make beard oil.

Motomom34 likes this.
  17. Amen Mr. Ghostwalker (#15) I thought there was something wrong with me, much prefer the taste of canola (rape seed), not to mention bacon grease and butter.

18. john316

john316 Monkey+++

store OLIVE OIL in A CHEST FREEZER AT O DEG. F, to get the longest shelf life...

...IN THE PLASTIC BOTTLES ..........DO NOT FREEZE GLASS BOTTLES OF OLIVE OIL........IT EXPANDS AS IT FREEZERS

9 YEARS SO FAR............I THINK FOREVER

THIS WORKS IN FLORIDA

SB21 and Motomom34 like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

So you have frozen olive oil and it was fine once thawed? Did it decrease the life after it had been frozen? This is great info.

SB21 likes this.
  20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Frozen in what also , we use glass as our vessels ,, Purchased in 3L tin cans from europe , I can't read the language , but it translates .
    Sloth

Motomom34 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7