OH8STN Icom IC705 Review - Portable QRP Game Changer?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by 3M-TA3, Nov 11, 2019.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Looks like the IC-705 has upped the game for HF VHF UHF mobile QRP transceivers that has largely been dominated by Yaesu and Elecraft. It will be interesting to see where OH8STN takes this.

"Hello Operators. Earlier this month Icom introduced the Icom IC-705 at the Tokyo ham fair. The Icom ic-705 is an HF VHF UHF ALL-Mode QRP rig competing directly with rigs like Elecraft KX2, KX3, and the antiquated Yaesu FT-818. in this video we'll talk about the expectations of modern field radio operators, and what they want or need from a modern field radio, like the ic 705. We'll also start planning a go kit, based on the IC 705, in preparation of its 2020 release. The New Icom IC-705 HF/50Mhz/144Mhz/430Mhz SDR is as close to the perfect QRP radio as we've seen coming from commercial amateur radio manufacturers in nearly a decade. Will the Icom 705 completely kill Yaesu FT-818 sales? Well Elecraft finally be forced into updating the KX2 and KX3 for the Ham radio data mode operator? The QRP portable ham radio world has just shifted squarely towards Icom! 73 Julian oh8stn"​

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I truly hope Yaesu, Kenwood and the others get their head out of the sand concerning SDR because iCom has really up the benchmark not only with the IC-705 but their IC-7300 (selling faster than hotcakes!) and their IC-9700 (have heard a few complaints reference satellite portion). They're priced right and completely out perform everything else - because they are SDR. At this moment, iCom is really leading in SDR radios...and I cannot understand what the other major companies are waiting for... I expect them to come out with something in 2020 in order to stay competitive which is good for us consumers...but I haven't heard anything.

I hope to get a IC-7300 next year.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  3. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Bought a Xiegu G90. 20 watts and receives better than my TS-2000 or 991a. Gets great audio reports like the Kenwood does.

Bandit99 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Folks that buy the KX2 use HF, though adding some additional data modes (it comes with PSK31 & RTTY standard) would be sweet. I don't see having V/UHF as a big deal as in the 705. If I want to run SATCOM, I'll use by VX-5 HT- works just fine for that.

I run QRP to save on battery usage, my (now gone) SG-2020 was nice, but a terror on battery power, pulling as much current at 1 as it did at 20 watts.

The KX2 has some awesome filtering, allowing me to close in on weak CW stations even with a fair amount of QRN. I did upgrade my FT817 with a 300HZ mechanical filter - made it almost like a new radio. No ringing with the mech filter.

can't beat sitting on the beach...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7