North Cascades

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Jun 24, 2024.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I go there at least once a year, Hart’s Pass specifically. I was surprised to see Mountain Goats for the first time, transplants from the Olympic National Park as I understand it. I saw a few other critters and a number of Subaru’s as well. I’d highly recommend a visit if you’re ever in the area, every time I visit I’m in awe.
    IMG_2588. IMG_2594. IMG_2595. IMG_2598.

Yard Dart, Zimmy, Ura-Ki and 7 others like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I wanted to so badly to return to Washington after all the years overseas (36+ years!) with its beautiful Cascade or Olympic ranges and all the green but...but I knew that sooner or later the politics would get me, and I would be in jail, my treasure spent on legal fees and my property taken from me. I grew up in Seattle, worked in the woods in the Olympics during the summers, fishing the thousands streams and rivers... However, I couldn't go back so ended up in North Idaho. No, it is not as pretty as Washington in my mind, but it is free and has people with common sense.

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The North Cascades are incredible and best of all there are many areas that rake too much work to see so you don't have to deal with a lot of people. It helps that Mt. Rainier gets most of the attention. A buy of mine lives in Manson on Lake Chelan, and I envy him his access.

Nearer to me, not North Cascades but very overlooked, is Indian Heaven between Mt. Adams and Mt. St Helens. Not as rugged as the NC, but much fun to explore from Calderas to high game filled meadows to the Indian Racetrack used for generations by the local tribes during Potlatches (gatherings to trade and meet up).

4. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

So many goats! It looks very majestic. I haven't been yet.

5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Here’s my stack of firewood from the burned up forest behind. It reminded me of cedar but I’m sure it’s pine. Dry and light as could be. IMG_2602.
    They do a better job of describing it than I could. Good times.

Gator 45/70, Zimmy, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

A shame such beautiful places are ruined by ignorant people and their politics.

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I do miss the High Cascades, growing up in the mountains was every kids dream, from Steelhead fishing the Deschutes, to 4 wheeling the alpine loop around Mt. Jefferson, to picking Wild Strawberries on the flanks of some of the most breath taking alpine meadows you could imagine, or sitting around the camp fire during Elk Season and listening to all the old folks tellin tall tails, I feel sad more folks didn't get to grow up like I did! Now, I live in an alpine wonderland, i'm about a hour from some of the worlds best skiing and some of the emost epic mountain roads you could ever imagine, I have been over Black Beer Pass, Imogen Pass, and most of the others in the State, any one of which would scare the snot out of most folks, but, that's what life's adventures are all about!

I am also blessed to be a pilot and own my own airplanes, so I get to see these wonders in a way most never get to see, something I am very grateful for, and I do wish more could see the world we live in the way I get to see it nearly every day, maybe we wouldn't have so many problems, but i'm just small potato in the great big world!

Gator 45/70, Alanaana and Meat like this.
  8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

IMG_2613. On a side note, the Oso Memorial is completed as of March. (On the way to NC) What an awful day that was. IMG_2606. IMG_2604. IMG_2603.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
  9. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Thanks for sharing your adventures. I'm really enjoying this!

10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I moved to WA 25 years ago, leaving Montana for greener pastures. Everyday my wife and I talk about going back to MT, due to the politics here. Beautiful Washington has devolved into leftist west coast bullshit. It is close to pull the pin soon.

11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I do my best to ignore the Loons of the Left in Wa. It is painful to see it deteriorate but trips like last weekend’s helps me in the head.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Looks nice and cool but I can't go there and walk.

Grounds too hard.

Meat likes this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

My plan is to sneak back up there in July and then September.

Alanaana likes this.
  14. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I grew up in Western WA and it is SO liberal...

Yard Dart, Meat and Seawolf1090 like this.
  15. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

You’d swear I was impaled by a stick on my hike last trip, I didn’t even feel it. Lol. IMG_2601. The heat on this side is getting to me so I didn’t return this weekend as planned. (Even hotter there, yuck!) I’m going to watch the weather for a break and hope in coincides with my work schedule. I did get my own battery saw now for convenience, now I just need a charging station up there.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2024 at 14:31
    Seawolf1090 and Yard Dart like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7