New Method to Calculate Muzzle Velocity Without a Chronograph

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Apr 1, 2022.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

[​IMG]

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

This would be nifty for firearms that produce a monster muzzle blast, such as old black powder weapons, large high power hand cannons, and certain rifles! Gone are the days of false readings because you ether blasted your sensors, or had to move them far enough away that you were no longer recording accurately your shots!

This is something I have always been frustrated with, trying to tune bullets and powders to my Holy Black arms, just a group on target at a set range dosnt tell the whole tail, will I have enough energy to reach the boiler room of an animal at a certain range? Now it's possable to measure accurately, bout damn time!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

10,000 Feet per Second???
    Did I hear that right?
    Oh, then I played the last few seconds, LOL.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Haha. Very good. As soon as they gave their equation this was suspect but I always enjoy Erik’s videos, this was fun too.

So has anyone gotten one of his barrel tuners? If so, what do you think of it?

AT

Tully Mars likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

April Fool's prank aside, it would be hard to pull off. Making a timer that would start with blast and end with impact is not super challenging, but the velocity of a bullet outside a vacuum changes due to drag. Also sound travels at different speeds due to factors like current air pressure and humidity.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yea, ya got me! I was kinda suspect, but thought it could be!

Guess I gotta go back to doing it the old way, blasting the screens off every other shot!

3M-TA3 likes this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

This one sucked me in for a while as well! When they said 10K fps I knew I'd been had for sure!

I think the new version of the bullet cam might do speed as well as video

Ura-Ki likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7