New garden space, etc.

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by TnAndy, May 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Had a garden space we've used for years and years, here's a pic of it from previous years:

ry%3D400

It's about 100 x 60 to 80' on the ends ( tapers ).

Planning to rebuild the fence, so I've taken most of it down, and we're only growing potatoes in there this season until I get it re-fenced ( deer eat everything if not fenced ).

Also cut out the upper slope some, and laid it over in the old garden space, with plans to level out above and build a 20 x 40 hoop house for cool weather growing and some hydroponic experiments.

ry%3D480

Last year, I started looking at the area below the house, which is a south facing slope down to the chicken house, all in trees. Cut out the trees, grubbed the stumps out, and made about a 100x200 space in there.

ry%3D480

Had 20 tons of chicken manure delivered from a local poultry farm, then added 20 tons of sand to mix in with the clay soil, plowed and tilled that all under and planted a cover crop of winter wheat.

This spring, we started fencing. Treated posts on 6' centers with 2"x4"x60" field wire fence, along with 3-5/4x6" white oak boards to help hold the posts/wire over the long haul. Spent some of this winter logging out white oak and sawmilling the lumber for this fence. Got all the posts/wire up, but not all the board fence yet. This view is from the driveway looking back toward the house. Old garden is on the left, pond on the right with the chicken house beyond it on the right.

ry%3D400

Looking over the entry gate. First row is peas, with cabbage beyond it and over the hill. Second row is all okra. Then several rows of beans. Tomatoes, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, squash, etc, on up the hill.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Had to build a retainer wall along the drive past the chicken house that leads on down to the cow barn.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

One thing we're trying this year is using cattle panels to raise our pole beans on, which should be easier to hold the weight of the beans, and remove in the fall.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Super "COOL"

3. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

I assume yer using a tractor? :)

4. TnAndy

Yes.....the main work is via a 34hp New Holland Boomer. Later, I'll switch to my diesel "walking tractor"......a Grillo.

ry%3D400

walkbehind.

STANGF150, oldawg and Guit_fishN like this.
  5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I'll trade you one David-bradley AND one Simpson straight across for that grillo. Only fifty years old. Just broken in. Beautiful place you have.

6. TnAndy

Thanks Dawg......you may want to hold on to those older walker/tractors.....real work horses.

What a difference a few weeks makes !

ry%3D400

Adding a shed by the gate to store tools, the tiller, and so on.....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Added drip irrigation few weeks back....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

She put out enough beans to feed an army:

ry%3D400

7. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

8. Elected4Life

Elected4Life Monkey

Very nice place! I have a DIY step by step for a garden hoop house that I built, go here to see a photo of it;

It has stood up to wind very well, kept critters out and the shade cloth helps us greatly with our gardening in this Texas heat. This year we had collard greens, Swiss chard, squash, okra, beans, arugula, cucumber and tomatoes via raised beds inside our garden hoop house.

Link deleted, unabashed sales pitch. E4L, contact melbo for permission to post anything resembling sales pitches.

9. Warscent

Warscent Corus corax

Very nice work.Love your place.

10. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Oh wow. I am so envious of you, both of the space you have and how beautiful everything looks.

11. TnAndy

Thanks, ya'll.

Here's a pic backing up some so you can see more of it....and the shed is finished/roofed/painted.

ry%3D400
    ry%3D400 ry%3D400

Sapper John likes this.
  12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Looks great! Is that a pond below? Just for run-off, or do you have fish there?

13. TnAndy

Yes, small pond with catfish. There is another one above it to the right you can't see in this pic. Both of them are fed by my spring overflow.

1. Alanaana
    Thai Chilis
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 4, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    I enjoyed my 1st Thai Chili Pepper harvest.
  4. Alanaana
    Trying to level up our curb appeal...
  5. Alanaana
    Gecko enjoying the fountain
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7