New from Colorado

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Colorado, Oct 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Colorado

Colorado Monkey

Good day -
    I have randomly come by several times over the last few years to read around in the forums - very interesting. I'm not sure why I've not registered before but here I am!

I'm a retired old woman, married to a disabled vet. We have a bunch of acres in the middle of nowhere in SE Colorado, about 35 miles to the nearest town. Our house is a quasi-earthship, build to be off grid but not quite there yet. We plan to be fully self sufficient within the next five years. As long as we get there before I hit 50, I'll be happy with that. Trying to get started on extending the house using earthbags, possibly hyperadobe. I need more storage space, lol.

We are in the midst (ok, at the very start) of building a 40x20 underground greenhouse, a walipini if you will. Currently we have under 100 chickens but nothing with hooves.

I just gave my son half of our acreage and he'll be building a house there for his family. Then should anything happen, we'll be able to take care of each other. It'll be less worrying for me to have them out of the city and living nearby.

Well that's a bunch of babbling and if I haven't scared everyone away, it's great to be here. I hope to learn a lot!

Ryuk

Rocky Road Lerp, GOG, Ganado and 5 others like this.
  2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Welcome to the tree @Colorado , Our other east slope monkeys should be offering their own greetings soon enough. You have, no doubt, noticed that we are a friendly troop of apes and are willing to offer up our opinions and advice for all ..

chelloveck likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Retired and not yet 50? Welcome aboard, youngster, happy to have one that practices what we preach.

chelloveck likes this.
  4. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Not yet 50 is not even close to old in this group. I had a drivers license when you were born and I am not even close to the oldest here. Welcome to the tree...

5. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Welcome to the tree. Las Animas county is one of my old stomping grounds!

6. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Do we have to tell how old we are? I'm 29 and holding, sometimes not very well at the holding part.

Rancher

chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Ha! Near 70 here.. You're not old, unless you think you are.

Welcome to the Monkey!!

chelloveck likes this.
  8. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Welcome to the forum!

9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Glad to have you on the forum Ryuk!!
    [welcomeLG]

chelloveck likes this.
  10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Glad to have you. Lots of good info and even better people here. BTW, you're a youngin'.

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Welcome Aboard fellow Coloradoan, glad to have you with us! Age is just a number!!!

chelloveck likes this.
  12. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Welcome aboard. :)

chelloveck likes this.
  13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Less than L? I'm only as old as the woman I feel.....OMG, am I channeling Donald, or just experiencing a little gender fluidity?? :eek:

Welcome, to the monkey tree....more women are always most welcome here....even if just to balance out the testosterone of course. ;)

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Welcome! We can always use more good women

16. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

Welcome from Oklahoma, not going to tell my age.

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Morning @Colorado from the foothills of Colorado. Nice that you finally joined.

I have some questions about your walipini. What are you using for the cover? I have seen plans with plastic sheathing but wind and weather, I would think it would not hold up. Also, did you amend the dirt inside? Or will you have raised beds?

18. Colorado

Colorado Monkey

Good morning and thanks to all for the warm welcome.

As to the walipini, when I say we are at the beginning, we are at the very start, lol. We rented the equipment last weekend and my son was good enough to give up his entire weekend to dig it out for us. It's 100% sand where we live, no actual soil at all. We plan on keeping the floor as packed sand since it's rock hard and we'll go with raised beds. For now. That plan could change as we just took a tour of an aquaponics operation in the Springs and it's quite appealing! We'll be building the underground sections of wall out of earthbags. As for the roof and wall sections above ground - that's still being debated. We get winds up to 75 mph pretty often out here, it's nearly always blowing to some degree so whatever we decide on must be sturdy.

We are also starting to dig out our cold storage/root cellar but we need to wait on most of it until we rent the excavator. The walls will also be earthbags on that. I love earthbags! My house was built using rammed earth tires and honestly, they are terrible to build around. Especially in the house.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome!!!
    Ry

GOG and Ganado like this.
  19. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

20. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Welcome from the eastern plains!

1. AgentPickle
  2. CaptainCalamity
  3. DurdenJames
  4. saki monkey
  5. old_code
  6. OlSarge
  7. TheRightToBearArms
  8. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  9. Bunker Bob
  10. Modus Operandi
  11. Northern california
  12. Murfylang
  13. Waydah
  14. Kruel J
  15. johnwintergardener
  16. JazzeeJ
  17. Kavode
  18. ArtVandelay
  19. MrBadExample
  20. Wildbilly