Nearly speechless when I saw this...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Apr 7, 2022.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    (111 W 57, NY)

84 stories.
    60 condos - 1 per floor.

My first thought - when poor people look up in NYC, they are going to think - "The rich do not pay enough in taxes"

Units start at $22M - each.

Dunerunner, Seepalaces, duane and 3 others like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

DJT's tax cuts put to extravagant indulgence. Only in 'merica! ;)

If 'poor peple' are perterbed and envious of the conspicuous consumption of the filthy rich, they should just pull themselves up by their own bootstraps out of poverty, accepting as their own fault that they hadn't the good fortune to be born, or be married to old unearned wealth. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Seepalaces and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Is it Airplane Proof ? Just asking , might be able to rent out a floor if it is ? walk up or has it got s few lifts ?
    Sloth

Seepalaces, Alf60, duane and 2 others like this.
  4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

At 22 million, each one should have it's own private elevator!

Seepalaces, duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Seepalaces, duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

.. .. jus 14 elevators .. .. dats it .. ..

Seepalaces likes this.
  7. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I guess when I look at it, I see a building that was constructed for hundreds of millions of dollars, and likely paid good wages for hundreds/thousands of working people for a few years.
    Those wages probably paid for hundreds/thousands of kids to go to college.

8. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Great, hundreds/thousands of kids getting a good communist indoctrination

Seepalaces, Idahoser, Alf60 and 3 others like this.
  9. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

So we should all be taxed more? The standard communist argument. short sighted and wrong.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    mysterymet and Seepalaces like this.
  10. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Unfortunately, the only place to go to become a doctor or nurse.

Seepalaces likes this.
  11. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I'm wondering if this will end up being a lousy investment. Because of covid a large group of people have figured out they don't have to live in proximity to a prestigious area. I suspect they won't get their money back on investment. Then, they get to be the poor people because they invested in this. And, the odds are this is a group of people investing their retirement funds to build a giant tin can to house superficial rich yuppies that want to be cool and hang with a rich crowd. I wouldn't be too quick to jump on the bandwagon of criticizing the investors.

GrayGhost, Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The building is located on New Yorks "Billionaire Row". It and most of the other obscenely expensive condos/apts sit empty. Seems the taxes in NY have driven away the very people these buildings were built to sell to/invest in. The tower pictured in the OP had nearly filed for bankruptcy (twice) and is still mired in multiple lawsuits - cause it's New York.

My point in the OP, which seems many have missed - due to my lack of explaining - is that the confiscatory taxation in NYC is supported by many City residents when they see these monuments to "conspicuous consumption".

mysterymet, Seepalaces and sec_monkey like this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just goes to show you can sell NYC Residents, ANYTHING if the price is high enough…

Dunerunner and Seepalaces like this.
  14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Looks like a really tall and expensive roach hotel to me.............

15. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

I think we all would be surprised at how fast they sell every single unit. It takes gross mismanagement not to make a profit with investments over the $5million mark.

16. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

My husband likes to remind me that I don't do stock market because I can't understand other people. The idea of standing in that building gives me the willies. Living there? Gah.

enloopious, Gray Wolf, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  17. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Same here,,,, I took an ex to NYC once,, her idea not mine ,,, I've already been there more times than I care to count whenI was drivinga truck . She wanted to go in the empire state building. We got to it ,, I was standing at the base of it and looked up ,, and got dizzy ,,, she changed her mind for some reason. I was ok with that.

enloopious, Seepalaces and sec_monkey like this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

When I saw the picture I thought it was a hoax. Looking deeper, it's built on top of an existing structure. I can't imagine it would survive long during any type of hundred year event. As is I'd bet the top floor is an amazing carnival ride during weather. They can have it.

19. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Lol. Well the first thing I thought was what death trap during shtf.

20. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

That was not an argument that I was making...so, stop straw manning me! :p

If I am criticising anything, it is Trumpian regressive tax breaks which favour the wealthy (such as his good self, and those who are his crony capitalist mates) at the expense of middle and lower income earners.

[​IMG]
    Who Pays? 6th Edition

Even if everyone pays more tax, that doesn't mean that such taxation is necessarily levied equitably...

Again, not an argument that I was making...if I was making an argument at all. But well done for the blackguarding ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7