Name it 9mm

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Feb 14, 2023.

?

9mm

1. 9mm Long

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. 9mm perfection

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 9mm killglock

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. 9mm alla akbar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 9mm sten

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 9mm GFYS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 9mm Thor

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. 9mm oh-shit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9mm smite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 9smg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Description:
    High pressure 9x19 up to 50,000psi, with a 158gr bullet, about 1mm over normal length and very super sonic out of a 9 inch barrel.
    It won't fit in the mag of most 9mm handguns or PCC.
    It won't feed and doesn't appear to chamber in most guns.
    If you hand feed one in the chamber, drop the slide and get it to go into battery, may God have mercy on your soul.

What shall it be called?
    9mm Long
    9mm perfected or perfected
    9mm killglock
    9mm sten
    9mm GFYS
    9mm alla-akbar
    9mm Thor
    9mm oh-shit

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

9MM Fuck Around and Find Out!
    Such a round does exist already, though not at the pressures you state, 9X23, and several others, including the works of RUGER in their "Super Magnums" specific to the Super Blackhawk pistols! The bigger question is WHY? We already have Magnum performance in such things as 10 mm auto and .357 Magnum, and even better in the large bores like .41 magnum or the all mighty .44 Magnum, so,.......................
    9 mm finds it's self in a strange place, trying to do things it isn't really good at, smaller bore sizes actually do better, ( Think .32 LC) and bigger bores like the 10 MM our perform it easily, why try to push it? If your looking for a Pistol Carbine, there are WAY better choices out there already, and for pistols, especially semi autos, again, WHY? 9X19 NATO with it's 124 grain is about the apex of the Wonder Nine, below that you loose too much, and above it, you really fall off, especially against the slightly larger .40 Short and Weak, and the king of all semi autos, the mighty 10 MM!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

an answer to a question that was never asked?

jukk0u, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

158gr at 1,300 should do it.
    Well I happen to have a 9mm that can handle way over standard length ammo, about 1/10 inch over normal and it doesn't really like factory ammo unless it's 147gr or +p.
    Plenty of people have asked it and it was answered when their glock blew up.
    The only limit will be how much powder can I fit in there before the bullets hang up on the lands. So probably be at lest 1,300fps could be nearly 1,400.
    158gr9mm.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. VisuTrac

So it's a .357 Sig then.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Not really, but maybe.
    Hottest 357sig loads using old data throw a 147gr bullet at 1,200 to 1,250. Loads developed on modern equipment shows top speed being 1,100 to 1,150.
    Slow it down about another 10gr, your probably looking at closer to 1,000fps.

You could hot load 357sig, but then the problem is 357sig already operates on the edge of disaster in the guns you find it chambered in. So probably not a good idea. Need something built more like a mauser, super Redhawk, desert eagle, less like a normal pistol to handle a larger 50,000psi handgun round.

Plus I don't think I have ever seen a 357sig long gun. I have seen 380, 9mm, 40sw, 10mm, no 357sig PCCs. If there was a long barrel 357sig yeah it would probably be close.

7. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

9mm S&M?
    I really don't see the purpose of overloading a round - especially if it could potentially be chambered in a weapon not up to the task.

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well supposedly Nato 9mm guns have to be proof tested at 50,000psi. I wouldn't recommend firing mag after mag of "proof loads" unless it's built like a brick shithouse.
    The way metal fatigue works is say a typical 9mm handgun is designed to fire 35,000psi ammo and it fires a steady diet of 35,000psi ammo. The barrel could be expected to last 100,000 shots, before it fails. Using +P may ammo may cut it down to 80,000 to 90,000 rounds, not a meaningful reduction in fatigue life it will become a smooth bore, break a locking lug or crack the frame or the slide will fall off the frame way before that. But if the pressure is bumped to say 45,000psi that could cut the life down to tens of thousands of shots, you'll probably break something else before the barrel let's go and it's probably shooting all over the place.
    Say the gun fires 50,000psi ammo, that could drop the metal fatigue life down to dozens maybe hundreds of shots.
    Say you bump it up yet again to 55,000psi, metal fatigue to failure would be measured in mags, but also cases would be deformed, primers blown out, case ruptures.
    If you have an unsupported chamber gun, it blew up during the 45,000psi test...
    My little 9mm has a barrel as thick as that found on a Mauser, the thinest part is about 30-30 thickness and the blow back bolt weighs as much as a plastic 9mm handgun.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  9. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

why not just go .38 super???

jim2 and VisuTrac like this.
  10. VisuTrac

https://www.tnwfirearms.com/Articles.asp?ID=261

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I don't have any 38acp chamber guns. But it looks like it would run if the chamber was punched out to 38acp.

Oh contact for pricing. That's why I haven't seen one.

At least with 9mm I can always go back to running normal 9mm ammo. 9mm ammo is 25 to $1 a shot and 357sig starts at about $1.25 a shot.

When the world goes to shit I'm betting 9mm ammo will be easier to find.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

38ACP Ammo was phased out of production in the late ‘’60s, with Legacy Runs into the late ‘80s, by Winchester/Western. that is what got me started into Reloading for my 1903 Colt Pocked Hammered Pistol in 38ACP, that upon my Death will be owned by my family, but displayed at the Cody. FireArms Museum, in Cody Wyoming… It being one of the few John M. Browning/Colt designs they do not have in their collection.

Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

38acp is 38super now.
    Yeah may not want to run 38super in a 1903 pocket pistol.

Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

TRUE… Absolutely not a good thing to try, You will be holding nothing but the stump of the pistol Grip, in what is left of your hand…

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7