Mag repair

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by monkeyman, Jan 10, 2006.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have a 30 round mag that doesn't work right. The platform wont come all the way up unless you push it down and let it snap up and the sticks real bad so the last 2 or 3 rounds don't have any pressure on them to come up or feed. I tried oiling it and working it up and down several times and even took it apart and tried cleaning the rust spots I could find but it still doesn't work so was wondering if anyone had any advise on it?

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Sometimes sanding the feed pad lightly around the sides clears up the problems. Rounding the edges helps, too.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Good ideas. But first, make sure the spring is not in backwards. Then, I would go with teflon spray rather than oil, less likely to gunk up the works later by collecting dust and whatever else the mag may get into. Sand with really fine grit, and don't go further than enough to make it slide readily. Those sheet metal parts won't take a lot to get all the way thru.

There are follower kits available for replacement if something goes south. magnus might have better links, leads and hints.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Could also look for a dent or burr on the inside of the mag. Could be that the follower is hanging on it. Or a weak spring.

wait,
    This isn't made out of a Soup can is it? :?:

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

:lol:

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Amazing memory --- [beer]

7. monkeyman

Nope, havent made that one YET, figure when I do that Ill be makeing a 5 or 10 round one.
    Yeah Ghrit, since you mentioned it I figured I just have to try one at least. Figure I will probably use a piece of banding strap rather than a leaf spring for it though since it should work with less fighting and fileing.

I cant find any dents, there was some rust in it though and got that cleared up. The spring is good and stiff it just dosnt want to come all the way to the top. I think I may have to find where Tina has her emery boards hidden and see if I cant do something with them.
    Oh and the oil I used was the corrosion-X, it dosnt seem to gunk up as bad as a lot of the oils and dose better on rust.

8. E.L.

I bet it's the spring.

So have you done your own version of ballistic "Strasburg tests" on any pigs yet?

9. monkeyman

Well I did use it to kill that 600 lbs hog.

10. E.L.

Were you impressed with the bullet performance? I mean, I know it had to of dropped dead when shot between the eyes, but did you recover the bullet and how much was intact, what type of damage did it do, etc.. ?

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[ditto]

12. monkeyman

Well I was off by an inch or 2 due to fighting the cage to get the angle right and trying to get in sinc with the camera so I could post it for melbo since he couldnt wait to see me shoot some meat on the X lol, but it dropped him as well as anything would, no matter what they will kick like hell for a few (thought he was gonna kick the cage apart). I found a bullet I think was it on the ground flattened out (used a softpoint). I didnt go ahead and dut into the skull and such to see just what it did and was no huge exit or anything but pigs, especialy the big ones, have real heavy skulls and it takes a bit to penetrate especialy if you arent right on the sweet spot.
    The way all the animals 'kick out' after haveing the brains splattered is the big reason I have come to seriously doubt the holywood thing of people being shot in the head not haveing any muscel spasams or anything. The ONLY times I have seen an animal not at least flop some or twitch around or whatever has been one or maybe 2 times when I put down cats with a shotgun loaded with magnums at a few feet and the whole head went away, and I have had to put down a couple dozen farm cats due to illness or killing chickens or whatever. Just a little tangent.

13. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

If there's not any dents in the mag body, the simplest thing would be to swap that spring and follower with those from another mag. You might have to try a couple, and you may hit it the first swap.

14. monkeyman

May try that to find the problem. I wanted to see if could get all the mags functional just on GPs. The other 9 30 rounders are fine and so is the 5 and 10 rounders, just hate haveing one that dont so want to see what I can do to fix it. Sawpping them around though should at least tell me it its the follower or the mag walls thats the problem based on which part dose the same thing when coupled with other parts.

15. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Yeah, if swapping fixes it, you no longer have a problem, the followers have new homes. Means you had a mag body at the small end of the tolerance, and a follower at the big end of the tolerance.

16. monkeyman

Well, tried working on it tonight and I think that one is a lost cause. Seems the mag was kind of a little warped or whatever so tried hammering it out with a rubber mallet and it worked at the top but then it pinched at about 10 rounds and after hammering it more the pinch point just kept moveing and after a while it got so it was bent in from the back and I cant really bend it back sonot a whole lot to be done for it but to save it for spare parts or whatever.

17. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

this might make you think differnt
    http://www.bangedup.com/bu_posts/aSNIPERSHdwdwd.MPG
    WARNING GRAFIC HEAD SHOT ON KILLER

18. monkeyman

It takes my PC an hour or so to download and show a 30 second vidio. So I assume it shows a head shot being done. My questions would be how credible is the vid and since I cant see it is there twitching and such? Im fully confident that a shot in the brain would instantly stop all deliberate movements, its just that on any animals I have shot through the brain they DO drop on the spot and dont run or anything else but even most of the time on animals where have had a bit of overkill and the entire head is descentigrated there are still some muscel spasams, twitching, or even kicking of the legs for a few seconds to (in cattle or pigs shot in brain with high powered rifle) 2-3 minutes.
    I know this would be a topic most who have been through a lot of combat often dont care to talk about, but I would apreciate if any of the folks here have been in combat enouph to have seen several clean head shots first hand could anwser it for me. Like I say I know they wouldnt keep doing anything intentional but just wonder if humans are that different from all the other animals I have dealt with in that there is no tenseing then relaxing of the muscels or twitching or kicking or whatever? Like I say, have just seen it so many times in animals I've killed to butcher and such that it has just made me wonder since had always heard that if you could get a brain shot on the maridian line against a person holding a hostage they would not even be able to squeeze a trigger, but now wonder if it would happen involuntearily from the post mortum muscel spasams I have seen in animals.

19. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

It doesn't show him after he drops. But it was cool to freeze and step through those 8 frames back and forth...

I think that quig was showing that a finger on his trigger didn't pull to shoot the hostage as they gave him a headshot. He may have jerked a bit after he dropped but he went slack pretty quick when he lost the back of his head.

20. monkeyman

Ok, like I say Im on dial up with an old PC so vidio takes for ever to load and still generaly dosent play well.
    I knew they wouldnt be able to conciously pull a trigger after haveing the head shot, just wasnt sure on reflexive movements due to the trama and such.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7