Energy Looking for MEP-002A generator

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Boonies, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Boonies

Boonies Neophyte Monkey

Hi, I am new to your forum. Before I joined I was checking out some of the threads and I came across a post by "azrancher" with an MEP-002A military surplus generator. The post was from April 2018 so it is probably long gone. I want to check, just in case, and see if anybody else might have one they want to sell or know where I might find one. We live Off-Grid and get our power from a Hydro Electric Power Plant. Climate change is taking away our river, and therefore our power too. We need a reliable backup generator.

2. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Where are you located?

3. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

You might be better off looking for an Onan J series. I got one, 4 cyl water cooled 10kw which it can crank out juice all decade long. They are discussed extensively in a few previous threads. Search and you’ll find lots of info posted by BTPost on these.

SB21 and techsar like this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

[LMAO]

Tempstar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You need to check out the www.smokstak.com Onan forum and the Military forum… and the Onan Foresale sub-forum… MEP002 uses an Onan DJE Engine with a standard .MIL Genend… Be looking around for an Onan 7.5DJE, or an Onan 6.0DJB, or one of the Marine versions of those Gensets…The difference is the bore of the DJB IS 3.25” while the bore of the later DJE is 3.5”… All the Onan J series engines are designed around a Common Parts Set.. The “D” denotes Diesel Fueled, and the second letter denotes the number of Cylinders.. A=1, B&E=2, C&F=4… The Gasoline and Gaseous Fueled, Spark ignited, have no First letter.. The KW Rating of the Generator is before the letters.. I own a bunch of different versions of the 3.0DJA and 3.0MDJA Gensets at my place in bush Alaska… and retired a pair of 12.0DJC gensets, 30 years ago when they had 70K operational hours on each, in favor of Water cooled 20Kw Northern Lights Units at my old place… Onan J series are built strong and durable, and parts are still available for when in-frame rebuilds are needed… Treat them good and they will run for ever…. I have all the relivent Parts, Service, and Operational Manuals available in .PDF format and even some of the MEP Manuals, although I have never owned a MEP Genset…

6. Boonies

Boonies Neophyte Monkey

We are in Southwest New Mexico

7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Welcome aboard. MEP002A are fairly common, should be no problem finding one. Google
    "MEP-002A"
    and a sockfull will turn up.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Stay Away from anything powered by Solar turbines, while they are very compact and super duper powerful, they will drain the fuel in minutes! BTW, Where the hell IS AZrancher, Haven't seen him around in a coons age!

SB21 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh then it's definitely not climate change. More people with the same amount of water and ever decreasing aquifers.
    You have solar panels right? I'm in clovis and my little 10kw array is killing it right now.

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  10. BTPost

AZrancher was last seen in May of this year…

Cruisin Sloth and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Glad to see he is still around, at least as of May! With all the folks gone missing ( Fishing?) it's been awful quiet around these here parts!

SB21 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Agreed Sir ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Watch @Boonies

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    techsar, Gafarmboy and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. BTPost

There was a 6.5MDJE on Craigslist out of Fort Collins Colorado that was listed for $300US, that looked in reasonable shape.. It was on Smokstak’s For Sale listings this morning… That would make a “JimDandy” coGeneration Genset for an Off-Grid place… Has the heat-exchanger and Water cooled Exhaust manifold already built-in, Plumb in a pump and a Radiator inside an insulated Building, and recover 75% of those wasted BTUs you paid for when you bought the fuel… and all for half the cost of a BigBox Gasoline fueled Screamer that will last you less than 2000 operational Hours… Such a deal…

Tempstar, techsar, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7