Loading for a Henry in 45 Colt

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Macgyver, Jun 27, 2024.

1. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

A neighbor has a newer Henry in 45 Colt. The books I have checked show loads for older guns like pistols. Then a separate section for newer guns /rifles. Would this be better loads to use fo the Henry rifle?

CraftyMofo likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Load for what's needed.
    For blasting targets and varmints the old pistol loads are fine.
    For hunting probably go with a modern loading that bumps the pressure up to roughly 9mm levels and gives the 45colt approximately 44mag level power.

CraftyMofo likes this.
  3. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I'd agree with that. Slow flying .45s are a hoot to shoot, and very light in the recoil department!

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

.45 COlt is one of those Rare cartridges that can really do amazing things, even today against much newer loadings, it all comes down to how well built the firearm is, if it's a Ruger, fill that case to full, and crunch the biggest bullet you can find over top that charge and go to work! Not knowing IF the newer Henry rifles are strong enough, I would be careful in choosing loads, with best practice being to work up from known stiff pistol loads and watch for pressure signs!

Is it worth the trouble rolling full zoot loads out of your rifle, That depends on what your hoping to do with it, I would certainly work up loads to suit, but this might be asking too much of a Henry!
    I have a full zoot Mauser 98 carbine I built specifically to handle full pop .45 Colt rifle spec and them some, it actually was built to .454 Casul Spec, so .45 Colt is super easy, and it's totally worth the performance to push rifle spec loads to the max!

My Dream rifle would be a Repop of Colts M-1855 side hammer revolving rifle, only in a top break and chambered to .45/90, but able to shoot .45/70, .454 Casul, .45 Colt, and .410 Shotshells, imagine just how insanely capable that would be, retaining it's hand crank ram rod so I could reload on the rifle with fresh primed brass inserted into the cylinder, and being all black powder based cartridges, super easy to keep running and gunning away from any civilization!

Zimmy likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7