lever action tacticool?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, Jul 3, 2022.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

been seeing a lot of vids on this subject and caliber lately... opinions?

2. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Wouldn’t be my choice, no, it wouldn’t be my first choice for SHTF, but it does have things going for it as it will stop anything on this continent (that lives). I would prefer something with more range and loads with a box magazine (or belt) but the .45-70 as well as the .30-30 lever guns are not to be sneezed at, just know their limitations.

Gator 45/70, CraftyMofo and oldawg like this.
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

The top one is hideous, esp. the stock. The Marlin's are badass but not really tacticool. Henry has always made beautiful rifles. IMO, if you were to shorten either of the above, the .30-30 would be the least hurt ballistically speaking. The .45-70 needs barrel length unless you're willing to give up longer range. A friend of mine made up a tacticool Marlin .30-30 and it turned out pretty good. I custom made a M-Loc forearm for him. Overall it's not my cup'o tea, but for those that dig it, by all means have at it.
    I still want one of the T-Rex killers but haven't come across the right deal as of yet.

Gator 45/70, CraftyMofo and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Levers are cool for what they are and the rolls they serve, but Tactical aint really it! I would think if a feller or fellett was gonna do up an old school rifle into a "tactical" set up, a Pump might be better for speed and handling, but caliber is gonna suck!
    Now, if we was talkin Bolt actions, thats a whole nother can-0-coke! Turns out Turnbolts don't make very good tactical fighting rigs ethter, BUT, they do something no other does, thats long range and serious smokeless bottle neck cartridge power!

My latest project:
    I broke out one of my last remaining Dumouline Mauser actions and am having a barrel turned, both stepped and banded for a barrel band swivel, and then fitted with custom sights and brake,.................Chambered in .500 Jeffery!!!
    Patterned after my awesome Ruger Hawkeye Guides, but much cooler!
    [​IMG]
    Will have a bolt shroud rear "Target" style sight, Likely a modified Redfield Peep, with a front ramped sight fitted with a 1911 trit sight blade, and big Bubba 3 port Brake! No rail like the Gunsite Scout, but a larger capacity mag extension so I can actually get 6 rounds in the mag and ghost load it! Will look pretty close to the Rugers, but no toe in the stock, and a higher comb, and no pad spacers, just a really slick Remington Soft Cell pad! the .500 kicks pretty good, but not near as bad as you would think, BUT, a five or six shot string is gonna hurt, so, yea, it gets the pad!

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I had an older Marlin 335 chambered in .35 Rem. That was a hard hitting, one shot, knock down round. I loved it. But it fell off drastically after 75 to 100 yards. Thats why they came out with the .30-30. I loved it and have regretted having to sell it a few years ago. Tactical? Nah, not really, but a damn fine game getter.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7