Let’s talk guns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman11, Feb 4, 2018.

1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

How many like the .22 hornet? I have the ruger 77-.22 hornet,no recoil,good 100-150 yd gun. Also what about the .32 caliber? There is the .32 sw,.32 swl,.32 acp,.32 hr,.327 mag and the .32-20. You can also shoot .32 acp, .32 sw, .32 sw in the .32 hr and then you can shoot all of those in the .327 mag. The .32-20 is a caliber all by its self and will interchange with the other .32’s.

GOG likes this.
  2. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

of the 32's I'd vote for the .32-20 or the .327 Mag. The others are pretty useless from a self-defense standpoint - though they are better than nothing. Now when you get into caliber, I believe that .32 is actually .312, we have the .303 British which is no slouch and the 7.62x39 in Russian loading is around .311-2

oldman11 likes this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I deer hunt with a 22 hornet neck shots the drop in there tracks

GOG and oldman11 like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I was given this improve mode 6 that was made into a pistol I was going to try and find a barrel stock and fore grip for it and turn it into a shooter again just have not gotten around to it yet KIMG1643_01.JPG KIMG1644_03.JPG

GOG and oldman11 like this.
  5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Almost looks like a Thompson Contender pistol. Had one in .357 Mag years ago with a 10" heavy barrel and a low power scope. Pretty accurate.
    It also had and internal screw-in choke for .38 Spec shot cartridges. Very effective on cottontails out to about 20 yards or so.
    But I got a little off track with respect to the thread.

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I kind of like my 112 year old .35 Remington thumper.
    alr.
    takedown.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki, GOG and 2 others like this.
  7. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I also had a early contender in .22 hornet,won a lot of money shooting the bottom out of plastic coffee cups at 100 yds,like a dummy I traded it off. I’ve always been a sucker when doing a trade,buy high sell low.

Alf60, Gator 45/70 and Tempstar like this.
  8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

The Hornet is a great little round, it has been popular for generations here ! The Brno (CZ) Fox so chambered is still a common sight. Many here had theirs converted to K Hornet. I have a Winchester 94 in .32 Win Special. Ammunition (if it can be found) is too damn expensive. I have all the parts to convert it to .44Rem though I am also tempted to just drop a 30/30 barrel in (less work than the .44 conversion....but I already have a 94 Trapper in 30/30.....decisions decisions.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Never got into the .22 Hornet, I went right to .222 from a .22 LR and never regretted it! My Grand Mother had a absolutely Stunning .32/20 that she took a lot of deer with, and my cousin has that handy little Winchester now! I have the same Remington Mod-8/81 As above, but mine was converted to .308 Winchester some time ago, and I welded up the barrel markings and had it re engraved to reflect the "new" chambering! Kicks like a Mule, but is quite accurate/ especially with the new Providence Tool Co rear sight assembly and a Much Modded Lyman Front post and globe front sight! I have passed right by a number of .32 Colt pistols over the years, but have sort of been lusting after a nice pocket pistol chambered in it!
    I blame @Sgt Nambu for me "discovering" the .22 hornet, he got me looking for something nice in that round, but so far, I have yet to find that "FIT" LOL A nice little Browning seems about right me thinks!

10. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Deeply looked into the 22 Hornet. It's a reloadable 22 mag and then some! The 32's are nice to have around as well.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Never seen one, Never shot one, Look's like I'm missing out?

oldman11 likes this.
  12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Grew up with .22 Hornet and .22 Savage hi-power. Both covered the bases from varmint to game with the .22 hi-power taking many deer. Except for the ammo price now still good calibers to have around. Ought to add that I do know here in Tx. .22 on deer is verboten.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The ONE .22 I missed the boat on is
    .22-250! Shoulda-coulda on that one! Kind of got suplanted in my young mind by .243 win!

oldman11 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  14. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

The .243 is a very good for deer sized animals. I have never let a deer get away while using a .243,it’s a .308 necked down to 6mm.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Outside a .22, I have probably taken more critters with ether the. 243 Or the 6.5X55 Swede, hard to go wrong with ether one! Put a ton of Coyote pelts to better use with the .243, makes fur a nice cloak! Lol

oldman11 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  16. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

The Army Air Corp put the M4 survival rifle chambered in .22 Hornet aboard aircraft during WWII. Did those guys in the War Department know what they were doing? Didn't we win that war?

Ed Harris, old time NRA writer, reloader, bullet caster, and gun enthusiast settled on the .32 S&W long in rifle and revolver for his woods walking guns. Link to his article - Gunwriters on the Web
    Ed knows a little bit about guns, even though he was a writer.

Ura-Ki and oldman11 like this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, yeah, we won. But the war was not fought with M4s. That does NOT reduce the fun factor of 22H.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. Andy the Aussie

..... 22/250 is a great round !! I have a Sako AII that I saved up for and bought new in 1983, my current go to hunting rifle (it's a .308Win now) started life as a 22/250 as well but had a HARD life before it came into my posession. Also a Sako AII (only 300 different in serial number to my other). I must say .243 never did a thing for me, nothing wrong with it as such, but not enough right to try and split the 22/250 and .308 with one. The next rifle I build up will however be a .260Rem. If I found another AII Sako action it would be under way now....

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Been really tempted to order a SAKO 85 Bavarian, just something sexy about that one, I really love Sako and TIkka rifles, Soooooooo smooth!

20. Andy the Aussie

Yes, I love older Sakos !!! AIs and AIIs mostly, both are truly sized to the rounds they chamber, once they go to the longer actions I think they are often a little larger than needed ! I passed up a like new AV in .375H&H a few years ago....I am still kicking myself for that !!!!

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7