Kids - Don't try this at home!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Dec 1, 2017.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Man trying to imitate TV show sparks massive N.Y. inferno, mayor says

"COHOES, N.Y. -- An inferno that destroyed or damaged nearly two dozen buildings in a city in upstate New York was sparked by an amateur bladesmith who apparently was trying to imitate something he saw on TV, officials said.

The blaze broke out Thursday afternoon in downtown Cohoes, just north of Albany, and was stoked by 20 to 30 mph winds.

The Times Union of Albany reported that three buildings were destroyed, 18 others were damaged and at least 20 people were displaced. The city is under a state of emergency."

Idiot burned down half of the 'city center'

chelloveck likes this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

But how did the blade come out?! :rolleyes:

Meat likes this.
  3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

What exactly did he do? Build a forge in his apartment?

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The way I read it, he put fire in a barrel in his backyard (to attempt heating and bending something) and simply lost control with the wind. Whether Mrs. O'Leary's cow came along and kicked it over, well, Ah dunnoes.

Should be an additional charge added. Terminally stupid.

Dunerunner, chelloveck and DKR like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

This gives meaning to " There goes the neighborhood ",,,

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Seems to me the Fire department was pretty slow in response, or poorly equipped, for that much damage .

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Cohoes is a very old town, dating from the late 1700s. Wood construction at the core. Without knowing how he built the fire (and I'm betting on a heavy duty accellerant) plus knowing it was a windy day, it comes as no surprise it was hard to contain. That said, lots of details not in hand.

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I am a fan of "Forged in Fire", and do hope to begin doing some smaller projects along similar lines, but I'd certainly have some safeguards in place (water hose and extinguishers) and take great care!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7