Gear Review Kershaw Blackout

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by DarkLight, Jan 2, 2016.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

During vacation I finally found a folder to replace my busted Gerber Paraframe II.

Gander Mountain had a sale on a number of knives and after sifting through the knives and disqualifying a number that weren't made in the US, I finally upped my budget a little and went with a Kershaw Blackout.

Normal price was $69 and on sale for $49, when it rung up it came in at $44.95 (so right around $48 w/tax).

[​IMG]
    Specs include:
    • 3.25" blade (combination straight and serrated)
    • Pocket Clip
    • Glass filled nylon handle
    • 3.4 oz
    • Thumb stud
    • Speedsafe Assisted Opening (feels like a flat spring, once you know how it makes opening single handed very easy)
    • Liner Lock
    • Made in the U.S.A.
    I have used it most days since I bought it at least once a day to open/cut something. I spent about 10 minutes total getting used to opening it one-handed and it is nice and smooth now. Very please with the knife so far and all reviews I read online before getting it indicated that it holds an edge well.

Kershaw knives also carry a limited lifetime warranty for the lifetime of the original owner. Better than a kick in the face, and again, this knife was made here in the U.S.A. Not all Kershaw knives are, however, so be sure to check the package. It is my understanding that all of the Blackouts are in fact made in America.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The Kershaw Blackout looks to be a nice buy. American made helps, too.

It should also be mentioned the steel is Sandvik 14C28N stainless steel with a DLC coating. The handle is glass-filled nylon.

Blade Length: 3 1/4-Inch, Closed Length: 4 1/2-Inch, Overall Length: 7 3/4-Inch, Weight: 3.5-Ounce

Mindgrinder and DarkLight like this.
  3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Three week update.

I really like the knife. It is still razor sharp and so light I don't even notice it in my pocket. At this point it opens very easily, but not too easily.

I have found a couple of things that I wish I could change however.
    1. I wish the clip was a little smaller, it shows strongly on jeans and light slacks.
    2. I wish the clip was offset just a little more to move the knife closer into the side of the pocket. Depending on which pants I'm wearing, it can crown the opening if I have to put my hand in my pocket.

That's it at this point. I like it better than the Gerber Paraframe II it replaced.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Hi_I'm_Carl

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 17, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. johnbb
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Alanaana
    Media

Gloves!

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 7, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Motomom34
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. Matei
  10. Matei
  11. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades
  12. Ganado
  13. Ganado
  14. Ganado
  15. Coyote Ridge