Is it safe?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

BIL has a 410 single shot shotgun I think is a 2" chamber. Could it be chamber reemed out to 3" safety? Given the power level of the 410 I think it's doable. What do you think?

Dunerunner, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Need more info and pictures, Most of those older 410's are quite thick walled like a Stevens

Dunerunner, HK_User and Oddcaliber like this.
  3. Check with the "Handloader's Bench" people. Lots of minds on that site.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Depends if it's a damascus barrel, I wouldn't risk it!

Oddcaliber and Dunerunner like this.
  5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Its definitely a bit more modern! LOL.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Asking because I scored 8 boxes of Silver Bear 410,97 grain slug loads. They say 3" but measure to 2 3/4". Anyway my BIL will be happy with any ammo at this point.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Take it to a gun smith they will punch it out to 3 in proof test it.
    If it blows up or bulges, no, if it doesn't then you're good.

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Re: post #6. the length specified on the label is the length of the shell after it's been fired. Are you certain the chamber is 2"?. Old European length was 2-9/16".. I have an old I.J. chambered in .44 shot that might masquerade as a 2" .410.

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  9. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

The ammo in question is Russia made Silver Bear produced by Barnal. Steel cased ammo with a zinc coating. Don't think its going to get any longer after fireing.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

I would have lost a bet on that steel case slug loads.
    Bear Ammunition Silver 410 Gauge 3" 97 Grains Slug ASB41S5
    Note the note "Not for smooth bore shotguns."

Don't even think about firing that stuff in a chamber that isn't full length or you'll need surgery. I'm not sure that boring the chamber is the best idea either. Not all smiths are capable of doing it right, and even fewer that can properly proof an altered barrel.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  11. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Boring out a chamber is almost never a good idea. Buy a gun that was made for the ammo you want to shoot, instead. It's ever so much safer.

When you sell the old gun you'll recover most of the cost of buying a new one. You'll probably be less out of pocket than just paying to have the old gun re-chambered--and you'll have a better gun in the process.

I have a short-barrelled .22 that I want to re-chamber for .45 Long Colt. (Well--not really. I also don't have a .38 Special that I want to re-chamber for .30-06.)

12. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

There is also the fact that if it does happen to be a 44 shot chambered gun it has some collectors value

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Man, That thing is dangerous and the ammo, Bring all that over and I'll slip you a hundred for the gasoline. Or just borrow BIL's car and burn his gas?

Oddcaliber and techsar like this.
  14. eb in oregon

eb in oregon Monkey

Ah, but it will. The case mouth is folded into the case to retain the shot, powder, wad and then crimped. If that folded bit of the case has nowhere to go it will restrict the charge and you will be needing to visit the hospital.

Need to be convinced? Place an unfired shell next to a fired shell and compare the length.

Oddcaliber likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7